Author Topic: Tool for installing snap and grommets  (Read 443 times)

Bentneedle

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Tool for installing snap and grommets
« on: May 03, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »
I am in need of a better way to install grommets and snaps. I am currently using a hole punch that I heat over an open flame to burn a clean hole in nylon before installing grommets.  I am using size "0" grommets currently.

The grommet tool i am using is a mandrel and punch sized for the grommets that I hammer to set the grommet in place. The tool and method I use for snaps is similar.

I need a dedicated tool set-up for this operation if I am every going to have some semblance of quality for production.

I would appreciate it if any of you could make some suggestions for a grommet and snap installation set-up. 

Thank You

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 267
Re: Tool for installing snap and grommets
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2019, 06:30:36 PM »
For installing grommets (drain holes in our utility pouches), we use a bench mounted press. The press uses one set of inserts for cutting the hole, and another for setting the grommet. We use 00 Rolled Rim Spur Grommets, that are oxidized black.

Kord

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 08:29:47 AM »
I like fasnap.com they offer a lot of different sizes of setters, they are not cheap.  You can even get a hand (squeeze type) setter but if your doing any amount get a press.  I like the deep one.

https://fasteners.fasnap.com/viewitems/machinery-tools-dies/category-1314

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 09:15:50 AM »
Fasnap is good to go.