Author Topic: Greetings from Finland  (Read 624 times)

StefanM

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Greetings from Finland
« on: June 21, 2019, 06:19:08 AM »
Hello, my name is Stefan. No, I'm not bothered to come up with clever nicknames anymore, besides anyone can find out who I am through my employer.

In my past life I worked for https://www.varusteleka.com/en for nearly twelve years, of which I spent the last five mainly as a designer. During this period I did a lot of co-operation with my current employer, and in the end one thing led to the other. When it comes to gear I'm a sort of pragmatic, no force multiplier is worth anything unless the end-user doesn't have access to it. So instead of the most super-awesome trinkets I'm far more into "good enough" complete systems which could be made available for mass procurement by large organizations. This is of course a process of cherry picking the necessary and best possible solutions and turning those into reality through efficient and capable production.

I recently started working for Finn-Savotta Oy, Finland's leading (and pretty much only so "leading" doesn´t really mean much I guess) proper manufacturer of outdoors and military load bearing equipment and shelters. We manufacture our stuff ourselves in our facilities in Finland (HQ, sewing, metalworks and "special" stuff) and Estonia (sewing). The companies history dates back to 1955 and has over the decades been supplying the Finnish Defence Forces and numerous other national and international organizations and agencies with gear and tents. Currently we're in the progress of breathing new life into our R&D and the retail market, you can't live on government contracts forever, and this is what I will be working on. We´re also currently undergoing big modernization projects to enhance our production capabilities, which will reflect on what we can manufacture in the future.

Due to the nature of my work and our customers I unfortunately can not show and discuss everything I´m working on. But whatever I can, and think is interesting enough, I will show and discuss openly. These are the drawbacks of the industry, I love proper open source brainstorming, but I have to respect my duties. I really envy the freedom of private gearmakers and smaller businesses, quite often it´s in that world that the little interesting little details and advancements get trialled - not by the colossal industry leaders. Luckily I always have the quiet after-work hours and a fleet of machinery to work with! :D

My activity on this forum will probably vary a lot, from periods of very high to very low activity, depending on stuff and things. So if you for some reason try to PM me and don't hear from me don't worry, I'll probably get back to you soon.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Greetings from Finland
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 01:11:56 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 01:16:12 AM »
Hey Stefan!!!! I remember you from the DIY Tactical days...... Good to see you again!!!!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 05:58:43 PM »
Welcome!

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2019, 03:43:31 AM »
Welcome!
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

@less@ndro

• View Profile
    • 9minuti.it
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2019, 11:46:09 AM »
Welcome aboard!  :)
Website: www.9minuti.it          A smart back panel for backpain www.smileBack.cloud

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiocciolabstudio

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 02:51:39 AM »
It's good to see someone else from Finland here, welcome!

I haven't thought much of Savotta in the past (mostly because of being stuck using army issued gear made by them), but it has been nice to see over the past few years that they have hired people who actually know something about military gear