Author Topic: Back-pack advise needed  (Read 1351 times)

Bentneedle

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Back-pack advise needed
« on: July 05, 2019, 08:15:11 PM »
I need suggestions on the type and thickness of material/foam used for the back of a back-pack that goes against a persons back.

stimpy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Back-pack advise needed
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 02:06:46 PM »
It would be usefull if you could give some more info on the type of pack, how many liters? How much weight will it bear ?

And from my experience in hauling around ridiculous amounts of weight as a soldier. Most of the comfort is on the shoulderstraps.

Bentneedle

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2019, 09:05:12 PM »
Its a basic clam shell style pack that measures 13" x 18" x 7".

The pack is to be used similar to a 3 day assault pack, so the amount of weight that it will carry comes down to what ever i can carry without the pack falling apart. 

I need some advise/suggestions for material types and thickness of foam  to be used  for the back of a backpack. 

i do have another question. What brand or model of machines are you guys using to sew your straps and backpacks.  I originally thought of going with a closed cell foam that is 3/8" thick for my shoulder straps  but none of my machines can sew something that thick. 

Thank You bentneedle

smeki

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2019, 09:28:34 PM »
well, thicker doesnīt necessarilly mean more comfortable. For your backpanel you donīt really need IMO very thick padding (especially if youīre going to use backpack with vest/PC). In attached picture is my latest backpack similiar in size to 3DAP, backpanel is very simple with very little padding (8mm thick) and so far I had no problems
When it comes to shoulder straps it is important to make them properly curved and rather wider than thick.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2019, 11:20:45 AM »
A lot of CCF you find laying around is lighter weight and breaks down faster. I think it's called 2# density or something similar. For shoulder straps and back panels, you'll want a denser, 4# foam. For personal projects where you don't need a large amount of foam, look to camping foam sleeping pads and yoga mats. Spend a few minutes checking them out at your local store, and you'll quickly see the difference in densities. If you're after production volumes of foam, look into plastazote or Volera in the 4# density

Bentneedle

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2019, 10:46:37 PM »
Smeki; may i ask what type of machine you use to sew your backpacks? 

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 31
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2019, 12:34:36 AM »
Look closely at Smeki's pack. He isn't sewing through the foam. The shoulder straps look to be sewn inside out, flipped, and then the foam inserted. Same with the back panel. He edge-stitched around the foam. If you're struggling to sew through the foam, then you need to tweak your design to eliminate that.

smeki

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2019, 06:34:11 AM »
machine used is Siruba L918-NH1. As was mentioned i didnīt sew through padding on backpanel. First i created "pockets" for padding a then closed the pocket. shoulder straps are separate pieces and donīt go all the way down hence the 1" webbing. Only step when I sew through padding is stitching webbing to shoulder straps (but you can avoid this)

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2019, 11:23:12 PM »
Here's my standard backpanel; the padding is inside the spacer mesh pieces (made of two layers; top layer from spacer mesh, bottom layer from 500d cordura). Also the panel those pieces attach to, has closed cell foam inside of it, but no need to sew through.

The padding inside the spacer mesh pieces has a 1,5cm seam allowance so that i dont have to sew through padding in the seam, only spacer mesh

Just like Misadventure gear said;  you can work around problems simply by designing the backpanel a bit differently.

Bentneedle

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2019, 01:23:49 PM »
That is some really nice work. I am finding that I need to do several things different on my simple back pack.

Please keep sharing; You are helping learn a new skill set in back pack making.

Thank You

Bentneedle

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2019, 01:11:08 AM »
Here's a couple of better pictures.. like i said, this is my standard method for a backpanel and i have been using this for years. It's pretty simple, looks clean and what i really like about it is that it allows me to properly sew the shoulder straps into the backpanel itself, and use load lifters. I have never trusted shoulder straps that only attach into the seam of the backpanel.. i want them box-x'ed. But this is just my opinion.

Here's what my backpanels consist of; the backpanel itself (obviously the other side will be the inner layer of the pack. I always put closed cell foam inside this piece, but there's no need to sew through it; just sew along the edges and remember to leave enough seam allowance.. i'd say 1,5-2cm), shoulder straps (which will be box-x'ed into the aforementioned backpanel) and the extra padding with outer layer from spacer mesh and inner layer from 500d cordura. (Some people don't like to use spacer mesh, so you can use something else instead.. the same method applies)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 02:25:47 AM by cdhtac »

Bentneedle

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 11:46:31 PM »
Cdhtac; thank you so much for sharing.  I hope someday to achieve a similar quality of work.

I really like your shoulder straps and padded back panel. I have not tried using binding tape on my shoulder straps because I am having to much trouble with puckering with my binding tape when i make tight corners.

I think my problem is that am using a standard household sewing machine.

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2019, 09:18:53 PM »
Thanks! And no problem; happy to help.

I have not tried using binding tape on my shoulder straps because I am having to much trouble with puckering with my binding tape when i make tight corners.

Here's another example of working around the problem;

I also use a table top machine without a binding attachment. I pre-fold the binding tape from the middle with paper clips, tack it down with a small amount of fabric glue and the sew it. Instead of having a 180 degree curve in the bottom part (which are a total pain in the ass to bind without proper binding attachment), i have two 45 degree angles, which are a lot easier to bind

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »
Its a basic clam shell style pack that measures 13" x 18" x 7".

The pack is to be used similar to a 3 day assault pack, so the amount of weight that it will carry comes down to what ever i can carry without the pack falling apart. 

I need some advise/suggestions for material types and thickness of foam  to be used  for the back of a backpack. 

i do have another question. What brand or model of machines are you guys using to sew your straps and backpacks.  I originally thought of going with a closed cell foam that is 3/8" thick for my shoulder straps  but none of my machines can sew something that thick. 

Thank You bentneedle

If you know exactly where you are going to be sewing your tacks into your foam you can pre sew the foam to thin it down at that point, back off your tension and go very slowly.  On our Alice/DEI straps we have 1 layer of airmesh, 14mm of dual density foam and then a layer of cordura.  The machinists will presew the tack points on a plain sewer before tacking them to make it easier to get the bartack in. 

For a pack similar to what you are talking size wise we use 3/8" PE65 foam in a sleeve. 

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2019, 12:32:10 AM »
If you know exactly where you are going to be sewing your tacks into your foam you can pre sew the foam to thin it down at that point,

Good point. For example; i use 8-9mm closed cell foam in my shoulder straps. Before binding the edges, i sew a single line of stitches about 1cm from the edge.. then another line of stitches with a zig zag in a way that when the needle is in the left position, it goes through the shoulder strap (about 1cm from the edge) and when it's in the right position, it just misses the edge. This "flattens" the edges of my straps, making binding them cleanly, very easy