Author Topic: swivel/rotating buckles in tan499  (Read 521 times)

Avant-Guard Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 3
swivel/rotating buckles in tan499
« on: January 30, 2020, 02:19:03 PM »
Trying to prototype a MOLLE drop leg thigh rig in tan 499. I've been searching and can't find the nifty center release circular buckles in tan499 for the life of me. You know, these kind:

I'd hate to have to put a black buckle on an otherwise tan499 rig. I suppose I could use a standard side release buckle, but then it doesn’t swing with the operator's leg movements as well.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 03:44:06 PM by Avant-Guard Tactical »

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: swivel/rotating buckles in tan499
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2020, 04:58:28 PM »
Duraflex swivi locksters, they come in 1" and 1 1/2".  1" Male 7778 Female 7898, 1 1/2” Male 7760 Female 7900.  Try John Howard Company, I've got small amounts of buckles off them before when I've explained it's for sampling.

Avant-Guard Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2020, 07:00:02 PM »
Thank you for the tip Disturbed. (Great music by the way!) I sent them a message. Not sure if they'll want to waste their time with a small-fry like me who couldn't afford very large orders. (Maybe a hundred or 2 per order, at most.) I made myself sound like a big deal, like this was a larger company's side project. You know how it goes, fake it till you make it...

Until I get a reply from them, the question is still open to anyone who wishes to pitch in.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 10:44:12 AM »
No sourcing suggestions, but I once made a leg quiver for bowhunting using this kind of buckle. Once finished, I found it squeaked too much when spinning/pivoting for hunting use. In archery, you need everything to be quiet if you're going to get within 30 yards of a critter.

Avant-Guard Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »
Noted. When I messaged  John Howard Company for a few samples, I asked for acetal and nylon versions. I would expect the squeaky buckle you used might have been nylon since it can swell when under water, has less thermal resistance, and isn't as smooth as acetal.
If I'm lucky to enough to get samples I'll make sure acoustics of the buckle while under load are something I pay attention to.

Avant-Guard Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2020, 08:56:12 AM »
Got this reply from the John Howard Company the other day:

When it comes to materials, the swivi-lockster comes with one side in Acetal and the other side in Nylon. This is the only way we sell them as doing so removes the squeaking sound caused by the parts rubbing together.

We should have samples available in Black that we can send.

But the minimum for Tan 499 is 14,400 pcs. These are non-stock and have to be made to order.
Black we can usually bring in a case (900 pcs) of each side as a minimum, only when we are running them.

Well at least I know the mystery behind acetal and nylon buckles with Misadventures Gear squeaky buckle issue. I’m a bit curious as to why the two materials resist squeaking as opposed to both male and female ends being the same material.

In any case it doesn’t matter. Buying nearly fifteen thousand buckles is way out of my price range. I was hoping to get something like a pack of 50 or 100 somewhere, assuming it would be more than 1.50 per buckle.

It's a little funny you know? How a insignificant piece of plastic in the right color can mater so much to your design. I can't find these things in coyote brown, much less TAN499.

I appreciate everyone's contribution so far. Still open to any ideas.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2020, 04:58:27 PM »
Post an intro.

Trying to prototype a MOLLE drop leg thigh rig in tan 499. I've been searching and can't find the nifty center release circular buckles in tan499 for the life of me. You know, these kind:

I'd hate to have to put a black buckle on an otherwise tan499 rig. I suppose I could use a standard side release buckle, but then it doesn’t swing with the operator's leg movements as well.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.