Author Topic: Greetings from Pineland!  (Read 455 times)

Diz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Greetings from Pineland!
« on: May 04, 2020, 05:19:33 AM »
Hey guys:
I am a stitch-bitch from way back, and probably a gear queer for longer than that.  I was always "that guy" taking his shit apart and trying to improve it.  When we cross-trained with the Brits I was amazed at how much better their kit was, and frankly how much more professional they were about these smaller bits of soldiering.  When I got out, I got an industrial machine and basically taught myself to sew.  So I made pouches n stuff for friends and neighbors.  I found a parachute rigger willing to take me on as an apprentice so I could up my sewing game (with a few jumps mixed in).  I taught a good buddy how to sew, and he actually did very well for himself.  When a position opened up at work, for making blast shields and insulation blankets, I jumped on that.  When I got laid off for awhile, I went to work for Bianchi and Gregory, as a production line sewer.  Any of you guys remember the Strap Master 2,000?  You can blame me, I helped make them.  Took a Gregory Snow Creek apart and used it as inspiration to make my first full-sized bergen, which got the attention of Brad at Lightfighter.  Although I was not in position to produce it at the time, I ended up going to work for him at the brick and mortar store in Fayetteville.  Was nice being in a shop with kit from every mfg to examine, not to mention lots of "end-users", that got together for Friday bull-sessions, and gave me many new ideas about LBE.  Started making some chest rig designs about that time.  Taught another buddy to sew soon thereafter and he's also doing well.  All this time the holy grail for me was making an integrated load bearing system, of belt kit, and/or chest rig, and rucksack.  So over the years I tested out various designs, with the intent of having a system, like the Brits, which actually worked together.  The biggie was finding the right rucksack.  After trying all sorts of internal, external, and hybrid designs I saw a new frameset at LF which piqued my interest.  It was the Australian Crossfire DG16.  I decided to try it out.  Tore down a LBT 8-pocket to work with it, and suddenly I found the key piece.  Made new belt kit to go with it and started singing it's praises.  So they got ahold of me and made me their North American rep.  I am currently working on chest rig, and belt order designs that will be tested by our friends around the world.  So finally, with a Crossfire rucksack, and maybe a few designs from me, we will have an integrated load carrying system that actually works together.  As you can tell, I am pretty ate up with this stuff.  Be happy to help out any new guys here, and learn new stuff from others.               

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Greetings from Pineland!
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2020, 09:14:05 AM »
Welcome Diz!

Some of the stuff you wrote back on DIY Tactical has helped so many of us, you need to add a few names to the list of people you helped set up careers.

Diz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 11:47:18 AM »
Hey thanks brother, I forget about the on-line stuff, just remember the guys I personally tutored.  But yeah I was glad to be part of the collaborative effort to disseminate info on line, to whole new generation of guys that have surpassed the old dudes like me.  And that's as it should be. 

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 04:44:30 PM »
G'day old mate. 

I randomly popped onto Lightfighter and saw you were kicking around online again.

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2020, 11:44:04 AM »
Good to see you here!
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 08:09:08 PM »
Aloha Diz.... Pleasure to see you again!!!! You were a huge inspiration of mine from DIY Tac too. I was thinking of you the other day, when I had to had to go to the office supply store for more "Diz clips".....

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2020, 09:08:04 PM »
Welcome!