Author Topic: [Juki 1181N] Thread unwinding, breaking while reversing...  (Read 207 times)

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
[Juki 1181N] Thread unwinding, breaking while reversing...
« on: June 15, 2020, 12:23:24 PM »
Hi,
I have a Juki 1181N that I do most of my sewing on. It has been mostly trouble free but yesterday it started misbehaving. While reversing the the thread started partially breaking and bunching up before the needle eye.

I checked the needle timing and it was a tiny bit of so I adjusted it, swapped the needle and the throat plate since it started to be a bit worn. After that I haven't been able to get it to run good at all. If a go slow trough only two fabric layers its running ok while reversing, not good but ok. But as soon as I increase the speed or add more layers the thread starts forming large loops on the underside or breaks. It seems to start unwinding through the tension disc as you can see in the picture.

Forward it seems pretty fine, if I look closely it looks like the thread starts to unwind through the tension disc but I'm not really sure. The thread is Gutermann Mara 40 Z-twist but i also tried some other threads.

Anybody have any ideas of what to adjust or change?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 12:24:57 PM by edvin »

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: [Juki 1181N] Thread unwinding, breaking while reversing...
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2020, 01:33:01 PM »
Are you using a factory cone or a respun cone? Because a lot of the cheap ebay thread is just respun and that sometimes really messes up the twist.
Is it old thread?
Have you tried with a different cone?
Are you using the right sized needle?

It's also threaded incorrectly in the photo, when it goes from the pre-tension disc it doesn't need to go via the hook. The hook is only to be used before the take-up bar. Also, that pre-trension disc looks like it's cranked to the max. There isn't any need for that if you set the bobbin and tension correctly. It's basically just a guide and is typically kept loose.

Bentneedle

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: [Juki 1181N] Thread unwinding, breaking while reversing...
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 09:41:19 PM »
I have had spools of thread that caused serious problems in feeding and breakage. The spools were fine in the beginning and then went to pot. 

This is just a suggestion: I often find in trouble shooting a problem that you need to start over and re-thread the machine, checking tension dials as you go.

You may need to discard a few feet of thread, before re-threading.

To me it doesn't matter if its a sewing machine or Hay baler the approach is the same.

maybe this will help.

feature=emb_logo

Good luck!