Author Topic: Binding Tape width variation  (Read 366 times)

Stone

• Stone Photo Gear
    • View Profile
    • Stone Photo Gear
  • Liked: 20
  • Likes Given: 10
Binding Tape width variation
« on: July 01, 2020, 05:26:01 PM »
Hey all,

Been off the forum for a bit, but I've been looking at some of my "1 inch" tape and some runs down to nearly 15/16 and some upwards of nearly 17/16". All same manufacturer. If I was going to get a new attachment made for this tape(all the same tape, just different colors), would I need to send the smallest tape, or say the "1 inch - 16/16" tape as the guide? This is for setting up a double needle, but I don't want to get more attachments than absolutely necessary(due to cost).

thx,
Dan

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: Binding Tape width variation
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 10:30:24 AM »
Most specs have a deviation that they'll accept in them. I believe mil-spec on 1" webbing is typically +/- 1/16", so it can basically be 1/8" between largest accepted and smallest accepted.

So what I'd do, is that I would inform the person making the binder that the webbing is 1" +/- 1/16", and that the binder needs to work within that range. I'm sure the companies that make these binders are already aware of this, and that it shouldn't really jam up their process.

Sweap

• View Profile
    • Phainoma
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Binding Tape width variation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 10:27:39 AM »
I'll 2nd that, see what the binder maker has to say about it. We don't really use a binder so can't give any valuable opinions on that.

Regarding the webbing, we use various mil-spec webbing's in our bags and our experience is that some webbing manufacturers tolerances are definitely bigger then others, even though supposedly they should be meeting the same norm. Without mentioning specific companies, I will say that comparing the webbing and binding tape we got from our previous source to the one we're currently using it's a noticeable difference in deviations in the weave. It should also be mentioned that both manufacturers are of the large and reputable kind.

IF... the deviation is causing troubles I'd say it could be worthwhile to look around for another webbing manufacturer in the future.
Phainoma.com - Custom paragliding gear, made in Sweden.