Author Topic: Best needle/thread set up for heavy materials and scuba webbing  (Read 207 times)

sfA25

• LEO by day, leather crafter/gear maker at night.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hey everyone! Quick question regarding everyoneís needle/thread setup for sewing through heavy/dense fabrics and scuba webbing. My sewing machine is a Juki 1541s with servo motor and speed reducer (for leather work). I found that when sewing through more than 2 layers of scuba webbing (in addition to Velcro and 17337), I need a size 24 needle to get the nylon 69 thread to sit the stitch knot in the center of the material. Size 22 needles and under wonít properly set my stitch and the knots wonít pull through the fabric and stay on the under side. I just picked up some 23 needles but have yet to test it out.

What is everyone else doing for heavy work?

FYI- tension adjustment isnít an issue with the above scenario. Adjusting the upper tension increases thread breakage drastically.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 268
Re: Best needle/thread set up for heavy materials and scuba webbing
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
While we donít sew ďscubaĒ webbing per se, our belt webbing is thick and dense, not as thick or dense as scuba for sure. We use size 21 with 69 thread almost exclusively for everything, from laminate, to plastic, to belts. Itís the minimum size the belts will handle. With that, speed must be reduced, especially on the tacker or the heat will cause thread breakage. We also use silicon lube for the top thread.

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 06:44:40 AM »
In general, I do a considerable amount of sewing with size 138 thread. I often use size 23 or 25 needles with that thread. I also often forget to change the needle between projects.

I have found that 69 thread paired with a 23 or 25 needle will help punch through dense or heavy build up of materials.

If thatís still an issue, try 138 thread. Itís very strong and you can crank up the tension. Doing this can cause some types of webbing to shrink. However, scuba webbing is so thick and dense that it shouldnít shrink. Iíd try the bigger needles first.

sfA25

• LEO by day, leather crafter/gear maker at night.
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 03:10:55 PM »
Thanks for input Gear, and Globe!

Size 24 with 69 thread is working fine- still havenít tried 23 yet. I was worried about leaving a bigger hole but it hasnít been a problem. Thatís more an issue with my leather work (which is a different beast) but Ive been hand stitching all my leather stuff so far.

I have a few MOLLE duty belts in the cue, so I might try jumping up to 92 with 24 needle.

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 08:22:46 PM »
ďI have a few MOLLE duty belts in the cue, so I might try jumping up to 92 with 24 needle.ď

Donít get hung up by the numbers. #69 thread is pretty badass. Obviously youíre used to working with very heavy weight materials due to your experience with leather.

#69 thread is more than adequate. It comes in every color. Itís cost effective.
#92 is very limited to color ways, especially if NIR compliance will be something youíre concerned with in the future.

That #24 needle will put holes in light weight fabric, like 330D or lighter. You wonít notice through webbing.