Author Topic: Pattern making software  (Read 409 times)

GREYPHON

• View Profile
    • http://www.greyphon.com
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Pattern making software
« on: September 23, 2020, 08:56:24 AM »
I've been using SEAMLY2D for making patterns.

Pros: open source, very stable, exports in .dxf, .pdf, .eps.
Cons: quite limited functions, can not render end product

What open source soft do you use for designing your products? 8)

GREYPHON

• View Profile
Re: Pattern making software
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2020, 04:04:05 AM »
Been discussing with some folks in the business. Ideally, a CAD program, or Illustrator.

Illustrator offers a few advantages: lot of training ressources available, possible to use the software for many other things than pattern making. Also, it is "easy" to export to a laser cutter supported format.

I'll keep posting thoughts for any one that may be interested too

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2020, 06:49:26 AM »
Most people and companies I know use either Gerber or Lectra, which is an actual pattern making software. They aren't your typical CAD softwear, and basically all the tools are geared towards sewing, so you have things like shrinkage etc. that can be programmed in. Only downside is that the licenses are expensive.

A lot of the younger brands seem to use less optimal software, so you'll see people use Rhino, Fusion 360, Solidworks and other CAD software, or Illustrator which is just a Vector program. It can work fine, as long as the designs and materials aren't too complex. Hell, I even used pepakura to unfold a 3d model to get a base pattern. It's not how it's supposed to be, and it's not how I'd like do to it, but it can absolutely work.

At this point, I think using the software that you're comfortable with makes the most sense. If you aren't doing huge production runs, why do you need to pay for Gerber or Lectra? If these patterns are mainly for laser cutting in your workshop, you're probably getting there are lot faster with Illustrator and maybe a 3d modelling software for the more complex shapes.

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 06:43:51 PM »
I use Padshare, mainly because our cutter also uses it.  It annoyingly can't facilitate pen marking as opposed to drill holes so for the products we need that on we outsource to a pattern marker who used gerber.  It can export to DXF for the files we are sending off to be laser cut.  I use Illustrator for concept sketches and such as I find it faster but I wouldn't do pattern work with it nowadays.

There's plenty of you tube videos on how to use Padshare and it's fairly intuiitve.  It used to be right up there but it's been left to rest on it's laurels for a long time.

GREYPHON

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2020, 08:29:58 AM »
Thank you both! I keep digging and testing different solutions  8)