Author Topic: East Coast Hiker doing a Passion Project or three  (Read 563 times)

MaritimeLBS

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
East Coast Hiker doing a Passion Project or three
« on: January 17, 2021, 02:26:42 PM »
Hi there,

I live out in Halifax, Nova Scotia, and do a lot of hiking- mostly around the province now, but, pre-COVID, all over North America and the UK. As part of the COVID lockdown, I had some free time on my hands, and I started toying with the idea of designing and creating my own PALS ruck based on my needs and experiences, using the FILBE MC frame, and maybe some quality "hard use" soft luggage eventually. I am using this desire as an opportunity to learn some new skills, including industrial design, pattern making, and sewing. I don't have a timeline, but I have sketches, concepts and I'm enough of a masochist to actually enjoy the tedium of the design and by-hand pattern-making process- plus I've done a fair bit of work with and around technical packs and military rucks- so I am thoroughly enjoying the process.

I'm here because most of you know WAY more than me about this process, and the only way to learn is to talk to those who know more than you.

Anyone know where I can find by-the-yard 1050 Cordura (Coyote) in Canada?  :)

Peace. 

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Re: East Coast Hiker doing a Passion Project or three
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 08:48:04 PM »
Welcome. As a Canadian gear company, I can say that sourcing materials, especially mil spec stuff, is next to impossible on this side of the boarder. Best to buy from a US source. By the yard is always expensive, but Rockywoods is a good place to start.

savagemann

• View Profile
    • Citizen Gear Co
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:32:05 AM »
Welcome aboard!

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:03:07 PM »
Welcome, a lot of us started out in the same position you are now.