Author Topic: Hello from Montreal Canada  (Read 333 times)

vertiges

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Hello from Montreal Canada
« on: March 08, 2021, 08:53:24 PM »
Hello everyone,

I live in Montreal, I speak French, I really love pancakes.

My first contact with tactical gear was about 11 years ago. I'm diabetic and I needed a "serious" bag to carry all my stuff : insulin, pens, glucometers, sugar, etc.
So, I bought a Maxpedition Versipack. It lasted 9 years! I replaced it with a 5.11 bag. And as sometimes, I just need a little pouch on my belt (when I'm not too far from my home), I bought a pouch, and another one... and another one...
And one day, last October, I woke up a morning and I was kind of bored. I came to the conclusion that it would not be a bad idea to actually try to built all those pouches.
My first project was a tactical belt. Classic design : nylon webbing with Austrialpin buckles. I did it with my wife's sewing machine. An old White SewMaster. It was almost a disaster... I looked at the stitches, it was like the needle was drunk... First I didn't know how to sew (let's be honest) and secondly the poor little White hadn't been designed to handle 2 plies of nylon webbings. But I'm a bit stubborn and here am I, five months later : I sewed a dozen of small pouches, two small wallets, and a tipi for my daughter. I realize that I love sewing and I'm definitely getting addicted. I found in this forum so many precious informations and inspiration! Thank you all!

I'm finishing to put back in shape a Singer 211G166 (I named her Bertha). I cleaned it, found missing parts (oh and by the way, the waiting... the postal services are so slow), oiled it, re-timed it, got rid of the clutch motor and put a servo motor with a small pulley instead. I spent so many hours to fix her that I lost the count... But now, I can say that the beast is pretty much back to sew!
I've got Cordura 1000D, 500D, HyperD... I've bought my first yards of X-PAC and Dyneema (I love that "NASA type" of fabrics), I've got hardware, webbing, bias tapes and bonded nylon threads... So I'm ready to have some fun :) I intend to start with simple things because Bertha and I haven't sewed a lot together... And as usual, when I'll finish a pouch, my wife will ask me : "What are you gonna put inside?" and my daughter : "Can I have it daddy, can I have it?" ;D 

Cheers!

eD

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 303
  • Likes Given: 52
Re: Hello from Montreal Canada
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:03:11 AM »
Welcome aboard.  Thank you for participating.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2021, 05:54:36 PM »
Welcome... There's lots of good info here, and good people too.... And Yes, my son always tries to "appropriate" the cool stuff when I'm done too.

savagemann

• View Profile
    • Citizen Gear Co
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 07:16:23 AM »
Welcome aboard!