Author Topic: Zippers  (Read 2214 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 257
Zippers
« on: February 23, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »
Someone school me on zippers. I generally avoid them, so as a consiquence I know very little about them, or where the best place to buy from is.

I'm looking for domestically produced (preferably YKK), #8, 9 or 10, in military colours. Also sliders that can be used on the reverse side. I'd like to sew the zipper coil side down. Any sources would be appreciated.

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Zippers
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 12:49:36 PM »
I got mine from Rockywoods. I'm sure there is a better source but they had them at the time I ordered my material.

I got #10 tan499 and OD. And #5 beige.  I didn't see the reverse sliders I would like to get those as well.

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 01:30:36 PM »
Dealing direct with YKK saves you a lot of money. If you are looking for Berry compliant then they have a GOVT line that includes COY498, TAN499, BLACK, FOLIAGE 504, etc.  They have #8, #9, #10.  YKK makes a reverse bail slider for sizes #8 and #10, not #9.  Ideal zipper makes a #9 coil with reverse bail sliders available. 

Orders direct from YKK fall under a MOQ, minimum order quantity.  Depending on coil size it can be anywhere from 150 meters to 100 meters (#8, #10 respectively).  There is also a monetary minimum that must be met for the order to complete and ship.  Last I did order was $300 minimum to be completed, the chain for #10 comes out to a lot less than that.  Sliders are sold in 500-1000 piece increments and will not be broken into smaller quantities.  If you want smaller quantities you have to approach a reseller.  For #10 with 1000 sliders and 100 meters of coil you are looking at just over $300. 

I generally stock #10 with reverse sliders in Tan499.  I use it with Khaki, Multicam, A-TACS, etc, and generally on all my prototypes.  Is #10 overkill in some applications, sure it is.  But I sure do love how easily it opens when you need it to, and how strong it is. 

I've been meaning to get some black but never have as it is a color rarely requested.  Now I have a special order and will probably be placing an order for #10 coil and reverse bail sliders if anyone is interested. 
In the past I have offered to let people piggy back on my order so they can get what they need at a much better cost but no one has ever done it. 
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 01:34:37 PM »
I'm ok with using Ideal brand zippers too. I'd like to find somewhere (or someone) who can sell some by the yard in various colours. I've talked with GSI and they have a fairly good selection, including the reverse sliders (no pull tabs) but all the zipper is by the spool. I just can't justify a large purchase just for some development and custom items.

idgara007

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 05:52:05 PM »
I contacted YKK and the rep I talked with said you need a resale tax exemption certificate or they wont be able to do business with you.  I know rockywoods sells by the yard but its much cheaper to buy a full roll.  Does anyone know a source for YKK zippers in tan499?  GSI only carries ideal and only size 9 and maybe 5.  PK only has black and limited colors.  Thanks guys

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
Since posting this, I have been sourcing my #10 zipper from YKK directly. I have some tan499 coil and reverse sliders if you need them.

idgara007

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
I emailed them again about purchasing without the resale tax exemption but they havent responded.  I'd like to get full rolls of size 5, 8 and 10 but don't want to pay double the price to get it by the yard from rockywoods.  I dont know of any other supplier that carries ykk zippers. 

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 11:52:11 AM »
I would drop a line to ATypeEffect, he was very helpful in providing me with enough zipper to get started!

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 01:40:41 PM »
@idgara007 just shot you a PM.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 07:34:15 PM »
If you guys decide to do something, I could use a half roll of black and 500 reverse pulls.
Thanks, Scott

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 08:05:46 PM »
What size in black?

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 72
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2016, 11:08:07 PM »
Black size 10.
I don't use that color a lot but it is nice to have for projects when they come up, and recently used up the last of my size 8, now I'm ready to go Big.
Scott
« Last Edit: April 02, 2016, 10:46:13 PM by SunriseTacticalGear »

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 03:46:48 PM »
Jayson here and sorry to start up a dead discussion, but does anyone know of any Canadian suppliers that sell #8 zipper in coyote brown (not tan!)?  I know Rocky Woods does, but I would prefer to buy from Canada to keep costs down as shipping can be a bitch - not to mention customs.  Please respond.  Thanks.

jaYson
Hold Fast!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 05:25:16 PM »
jaYson, there isn't one. On our side of the border, if you want YKK, you can order directly from them. You'd need to commit to a min amount. Coyote Brown is not a stocked colour and they bring it in from the USA.

jaYson

• View Profile
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 08:14:14 PM »
Ah crap.  I was afraid of that.  It really amazes me there is so little demand for such materials in all of Canada.  Oh well.

Any idea what the minimums are when ordering from YKK?

jaYson
Hold Fast!