Author Topic: Typhon hoodie  (Read 3605 times)

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
Typhon hoodie
« on: February 24, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
Hi,

Here is a hoodie I made for a friend few months ago. I started from a pattern found on www.lekala.co, you can specify every measurements, "order it" (this one is free, but you have to click the order button even though) and you'll receive it by email few minutes later (~10/15).
Since I didn't have any separable zipper of the correct length to open it completely, I modified the pattern so I only needed a classic coil #8 zipper, added a zippered pocket (not visible) for keys or coins inside the front kangaroo pouch. Next time I'll try to have at least a locking slider, since it tends to slide down easily...

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 12:19:39 PM by Fouinard »

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 22
Re: Typhon hoodie
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 11:15:06 AM »
That is sweet!  Is it a 50/50 NYCO or a poly/cotton?  I've been wanting to make one for a while, are the seems and elbows holding up well?
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 11:25:09 AM »
It's nyco ripstop, it's not been washed yet so the fabric is pretty stiff. I sewn it with #69, seams should be ok for a while ^^ regarding the elbows, it's for edc use so no hard treatments.
The design is really simple, one seam sleeves etc. For the next one, I think I'll try to make 2 seams sleeves like bdu shirts, some vertical front zippered pockets and maybe sleeve pockets.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 09:04:53 PM »
Good job. I built my first pullover jacket last month, and using patterns really makes you understand how it's all put together.
Besides, modifying patterns to make it your own is pretty much the industry standard in outwear.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:05:28 AM »
Thanks!
Yeah I haven't finished the book of Kathleen Fasanella but from what I've read she's saying it seems ok to start from a pattern that fits well, modify it to our needs and make it our base blocks.
Anyway when you start sewing clothes, you realize gear making is really simpler compared to all the stuff involved in clothing pattern making, at least when you have absolutely no education about it :D

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 04:40:10 AM »
I totally agree with that. I'very started making bdu/acu tops for some guys and it is a bit more complicated and picky about angles, seams, and slopes.  The most common type I do now is a custom Raglan cut with zippered arm pockets and angled chest pockets pushed to the sides to clear gear.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 04:59:33 AM »
Yep, thing is with gear we can fix up some errors pretty easily, most of the time if we lose 1 cm on a curve or something it's no big deal. With clothes if you make the seam a bit shorter maybe it won't fit anymore ^^ Moreover you have to take the fabric shrinkage into account...

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:23:10 AM »
Not only that, but slope matters.  I few cm extra in one place and less in another place and you end up with a camo MC Hammer pant rather than something that would be useful.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:25:25 AM »
Hehe sure that would be a problem ^^

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 12:32:08 PM »
Thanks!
Yeah I haven't finished the book of Kathleen Fasanella but from what I've read she's saying it seems ok to start from a pattern that fits well, modify it to our needs and make it our base blocks.
Anyway when you start sewing clothes, you realize gear making is really simpler compared to all the stuff involved in clothing pattern making, at least when you have absolutely no education about it :D
I haven't read that book, but when you got yourself a pattern that fits, you can sew that one up, and cut it to pieces to make another pattern. It's kinda hard to explain without any images, but imagine if you have a normal tshirt, and you cut off the arms at an angle, you pretty much ends up with a raglan pattern instead. Jackets and things with darts will allow you to move the darts around to wherever you please. It's just techniques.

I got some good literature on the stuff, but it's all hand outs from school. I'll see if I can figure out where it comes from. We also watched a couple of videos by some famous dude on youtube, but I can't remember his name at the moment..
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna