Author Topic: Hook compatible fabric in the US?  (Read 3018 times)

762Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 58
Hook compatible fabric in the US?
« on: March 07, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
OK, I'm doing a custom plate carrier for someone and they want velcro in pads similar to the Cry cage. Every hook type fabric I can find seems to just be really wide velcro (loop) and is too stiff for what I am looking for. Anybody know what it's called and where I can get some?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 12:12:07 PM by 762Tactical »

Alex

• View Profile
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Hook compatible fabric in the US?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 01:57:50 PM »
That exact fabric that Crye uses has very high minimums to purchase (Colors are 2k minimums, You should be able to buy black by the roll if it's currently in their stocking program). I would recommend calling them to see if they can work with you and keep your fingers crossed they have black stocked in the warehouse.

Emtex
http://www.emtexglobal.com/militaryspec/berrycompliantfa.html#

Price quote from November 2014
Style Name/#: Sheet Loop
MOQ: 1000 yrds
Is the cutable width 50" wide?
Price: $8.95

Dan White
Sales Manager
Emtexglobal
42B Cherry Hill Drive
Danvers, MA 01923
978-973-9452 – Cell
978-564-8208 – Office
www.emtexglobal.com

Another option would be to call MMI textiles and talk to Kim about their sheet/fabric loop options. MMI is my velcro rep, they also have other hook compatible fabric options available. I think they call the fabric circular knit or knit loop fabric

http://www.mmitextiles.com/product-lines/woven-fabric
Kim Brown | Customer Service/Sales Support
MMI Textiles, Inc.
Your total textile resource…

kim@mmitextiles.com
440.899.8050 x207
440.899.8055 fax

Best of luck

762Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 03:32:05 PM »
I'm only doing one plate carrier, so I was hoping to find a couple yards. I'll keep the search up.

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2015, 10:34:45 AM »

Shaddox Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2015, 10:49:32 AM »
I'm interested in this too.  I have had a request for some gun cases.  To this point I have no idea exactly what the soft poly loop material is that lines most gun cases.  I imagine it's the same thing Colin is looking for for his carrier.  I would love to know exactly what it's called and a good place to get it in various military colors at a good price.
Clay- Shaddox Tactical LLC

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 298
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2015, 11:26:50 AM »
I think this is what you're after.  This was picked up from the local upholstery shop.  It's somewhere between coyote and a generic beige or taupe.  If you'd like a piece to make some pads, just let me know the dimensions and I'll drop it in the mail  :)

OK, I'm doing a custom plate carrier for someone and they want velcro in pads similar to the Cry cage. Every hook type fabric I can find seems to just be really wide velcro (loop) and is too stiff for what I am looking for. Anybody know what it's called and where I can get some?

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »
Colin,

I bought two yards of this with the intention of making safe wall liners covered in PALS webbing.  I figured it would be easier to stitch a 2" x 4" sheet of this to corder, and stitch the PALS on top of it than stitch velcro to the 1" PALS webbing.  The specs say it's not for high cycle use, but it was cheap so I bought a few yards.

http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/Velcro-Tape-Fasteners/Black-Generic-Loop-Sheet

It's pretty flexible, but it looks and feels more like a thick padded mesh than velcro.  Sticking and removing hook velcro to this stuff repeatedly would destroy it.

They also offer genuine velcro brand, but it's twice the price, and I have never held any in my hands.
http://www.rockywoods.com/Hardware-Zippers/Velcro-Tape-Fasteners/Black-Velcro-Loop-Sheet-Black

The good news is that they offer a small sample of both.  The link for the velcro brand velcro is here:
http://www.rockywoods.com/Fabrics-Kits/Fabric-Samples/Sample-of-Black-Velcro-Loop-Sheeting

It's a 3x3 inch sheet, but it's only $0.50, and it should be sufficient for you to feel it out.

Chuck
www.twowaytrauma.com
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

762Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
I think this is what you're after.  This was picked up from the local upholstery shop.  It's somewhere between coyote and a generic beige or taupe.  If you'd like a piece to make some pads, just let me know the dimensions and I'll drop it in the mail  :)

I picked up some on line and it looks exactly like what you have.