Author Topic: Laser cutter info/background  (Read 640 times)

Fusilier

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 9
Laser cutter info/background
« on: April 10, 2015, 06:32:31 AM »
I admit I'm just an amateur who likes playing with this stuff for personal use but I see a lot of you high volume/higher end stitchers are using laser cutters for your work. They are a brilliant concept (ease of use, repeatability, cut edges are clean and seared) but I know squat about them and I'm looking for some background info.

What do these babies cost? Are there services that'll do cutting for you? What are the limitations?

I also can't help but comment that as a mechanical engineer, I'm just plain interested in how these puppies work.

If I'm lucky (and I'm seldom lucky) perhaps the local community college might have one that can be borrowed or rented. I'm also involved in the local Halifax Makerspace and I'm trying to get them to set up a couple of industrial sewing machines in their space that I can access.

Cheers,

Marcel
Full time Engineer. Part time Soldier. Always a professional.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 264
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Laser cutter info/background
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 09:12:59 AM »
I admit I'm just an amateur who likes playing with this stuff for personal use but I see a lot of you high volume/higher end stitchers are using laser cutters for your work. They are a brilliant concept (ease of use, repeatability, cut edges are clean and seared) but I know squat about them and I'm looking for some background info.

What do these babies cost? Are there services that'll do cutting for you? What are the limitations?

SunriseTacticalGear started an excellent thread on the subject.

Depending on size and country of origin, a couple Gs for an import desktop machine to $100k+ for a serious enterprise machine.

There are contract cutting services including Whiskey Two Four.

As for limitations, I suppose part size and CAD are big concerns.  Were you thinking of any other limitations specifically?

Quote from: Fusilier
I also can't help but comment that as a mechanical engineer, I'm just plain interested in how these puppies work.

If I'm lucky (and I'm seldom lucky) perhaps the local community college might have one that can be borrowed or rented. I'm also involved in the local Halifax Makerspace and I'm trying to get them to set up a couple of industrial sewing machines in their space that I can access.

There are links to a few Makerspace maps in that thread too  :)

Quote from: Fusilier
Cheers,

Marcel
Full time Engineer. Part time Soldier. Always a professional.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 12:30:10 PM by gearmaker.org »