Author Topic: Is a binder foot really better?  (Read 8122 times)

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
Is a binder foot really better?
« on: April 16, 2015, 11:45:08 AM »
Hi,

I have only one walking foot machine so I screw/unscrew my binder attachment everytime I need it. I'm using the classic foot when doing it, still I have some trouble sometime when doing curves that are too tight, binding tends to go all the way under (I think it has been discused here and if I remember correctly that's because the part on the attachment where the binding slides is too large, I got that.)

Now I wanted to know if using binder foot (kind of large zipper foot) like the one on the picture below would help to get a cleaner binding job? Or of it's totally useless... Knowing I can't set up a special machine nor changing feed dog/needle plate everytime I have to bind something.

Thanks
Cheers!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Re: Is a binder foot really better?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2015, 02:14:56 PM »
I'm sure WTF will chime in here sooner or later but I literally just got my custom made right angle binder in the mail today. It came mounted to a modified plate and included a shortened feed dog and an inner and outer foot, like you have pictured. The way the binder is mounted (really close to the needle, and low) prohibits the use of my regular feet and feed dog.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 02:35:52 PM »
Having never worked with binding before, here are my results with this set up. First try. The padded strap is 2" wide.

One more try, this one is a little cleaner. I'll need to perfect the skill.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
Dude.  You have sweet binding skills.  That part is gorgeous  :)

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2015, 03:26:05 PM »
I see a warbelt from GD in my future

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
Great pics! so you only have the special short foot set and the binder, you don't have to change needle plate & feed dog? cool!
What material thickness can you pass through the binder? My cheap one is wide enough so I can bind on 3/8" foam but not more.

So before I get a better binder, would this foot actually help me a bit?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2015, 05:36:18 PM »
The binder is attached to that plate. The needle plate is cut out so that the mouth of the binder sits flush with the plate. The feed dog is also modified. It is cut off at the front, to make room for the mouth of the binder. Unfortunately for a good set up, all of these parts need to be changed out, this is why a dedicated machine is preferred. It sucks but there is no easy solution that can accomplish the same results.

To answer you question about the special binder feet, I think that they would allow you to position whatever attachment you are currently running closer to the needle. This may or may not improve your results. If you don't have a right angle binder, it will be difficult to execute clean outside curves and impossible to do inside curves. I think the best solution is to find the cheapest, reliable machine you can and set it up for binding. 

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 06:39:12 PM »
I have that binder foot pictured, and I use it all the time with my cheap, non-right angle binder attachment on my Tacsew T111-155. It works great on one inch tape, because it presses across the entire width of the binding tape. It helps to keep the tape from rolling on curves and when straight stitching. If you can't afford a dedicated binding machine, this foot will help you get the most out of your binder attachment on your regular machine.

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 07:17:33 PM »
<snip>

...the best solution is to find the cheapest, reliable machine you can and set it up for binding.

Pretty much.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 02:00:02 AM »
Thanks for the infos! Damn I looked too fast and didn't see the slot in the needle plate ^^ I have several single fold / double fold non-90 binder, and a wide mouth right angle binder, but since it's not a dedicated machine, the binder mouth has an offset in relation to the needle plate level.
Sadly I don't have the space for another machine for now :/

it presses across the entire width of the binding tape. It helps to keep the tape from rolling on curves and when straight stitching.
Thanks I guess I'll give it a try then, if it can make something a bit cleaner!

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 02:19:07 AM »
If you are going to setup a dedicated binder make it a free arm, the ability to bind inside a cylinder is invaluable.

jmacormac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 30
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:58:11 PM »
Where do I get a binder made?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 08:19:50 PM »
I sent out emails for quotes to a ton of attachment companies. I found a fairly affordable option in Quebec, B&J Attachments. They were cheaper than most of the U.S. companies, about $320 CAD. I sent them test materials and they fabricated the binder in about a week or so. The binder I had built is #499 1" x 0.5" x 1/4" opening.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 01:25:34 PM »
Our sewing tech at school gets most of his binders from B&J, the ones I've worked have been pretty damn perfect.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 05:10:38 PM »
If you are going to setup a dedicated binder make it a free arm, the ability to bind inside a cylinder is invaluable.

Stay tuned for a demo of what will be offered as an industry standard cylinder arm, synchronized binder machine from Nick O Sew.  Mass produced, cost effective binders in 1" 55301, 1" 5038, and 3/4" 5038, will be available too  :)

We'll show it off in the open source backpack video tutorial.