Author Topic: Shipping finished product over seas  (Read 908 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 68
Shipping finished product over seas
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:44:58 AM »
I'm wondering if there is a common overseas shipper that you guys are using, that isn't too expensive.
I currently use US postal Priority mail, because I need tracking information, but it is a little expensive for the weight of my gear.
I'm interested to hear any and all thoughts.
Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 246
Re: Shipping finished product over seas
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 12:10:23 PM »
I use Canada Post, mostly because they are the cheapest without having a shipping contract. Most other major shipping companies (Fedex, UPS, Purolator) all require a minimum amount of shipments before you see any reduction in price. All shipping companies will generally have a tiered price structure based on your volume.

I will say that DHL is the only company who ships EVERYWHERE. I had equipment delivered to me at an address in southern Afghanistan, buy an Afghan in a DHL shirt with a busted up truck!

Bottom line, for better rates, the only thing I have found is you must be able to meet the volume requirements.

***edited above. It was DHL that ships EVERYWHERE!!***
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 07:04:58 PM by Gear Dynamics »

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: Shipping finished product over seas
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
@Sunrise, international shipping is something I struggle with too. Everyone charges like a wounded bull when leaving Australia, and understandably so seeing as we are an island at the bottom of the world. To put it in perspective a pack which cost around $200 costs me about $80 to ship (to USA... Europe is even more). I am finding myself partially absorbing this shipping costs for international customers, and capping the rate at $60-odd. For the time being it seems to be a good tradeoff as people don't baulk as much at $60 versus $80, and it gets more of my gear internationally.

At the moment as @GearDynamics suggests, I find our best rates is from our local Post - in my case Australia Post. I will continue to use them and cap postage rates until such time that I qualify for better rates.

As a slight side perhaps investigate a "bulk shipper" (not sure what the correct name is). Here in Australia we have a company called Interparcel which gets shipping from multiple agents, and then offers these rates to other smaller businesses (with a slight $$ premium tacked on). This means for larger international orders (ie more than 1 piece) we sometimes use Interparcel as it is cheaper than AusPost. I may have an account with DHL, but Interparcel offers better rates as they move more across more people. Hope this makes sense.

BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear