Author Topic: Bar Tack Machines  (Read 2008 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 261
  • Likes Given: 256
Bar Tack Machines
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »
Ok boys, I want to hammer out the details on bar tack machines. What do I need to know? What do you guys recommend? What should I avoid? and most importantly, what should I expect to pay?

As I understand it, there are basically lower budget machines that are not programable, that will do a simple tack operation over and over, and then there are programable machines with a set sewing field that can do tacks or a box and cross etc etc. Obviously the latter is the better choice (more versatile), but is it worth considering a non-programable machine for simply sewing PALS and other strategic tack reinforcements?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Bar Tack Machines
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:03:12 PM »
One can usually find used Juki 1900s between $2,000 and $3,000.  When I bought my first tacker, I was after the Juki.  After pricing out a Nick O Sew NKS-430D (KE-430D clone), I could get it new with a whole set of clamps of plates for the cost of a used LK1900 with one clamp and plate.  Both machines have a sewing field 40mm x 30mm tall.  Both machines are direct drive (absolutely necessary), have a shitload of preloaded patterns (see below), adjustable SPM, and can scale the patterns up and down as necessary.

Tackers here are used, 99.9999% of the time, for N/S 42 stitch, center stop center start bartacks.  All.  Day.  Long.

If you have ideas of swapping clamps to do bartacks or box Xs, a nice selection of clamps sure helps.

There are cam operated bar tackers.  They're a nightmare.  Do not consider them an option if you have any expectations of a machine running trouble free through a shift.

Ok boys, I want to hammer out the details on bar tack machines. What do I need to know? What do you guys recommend? What should I avoid? and most importantly, what should I expect to pay?

As I understand it, there are basically lower budget machines that are not programable, that will do a simple tack operation over and over, and then there are programable machines with a set sewing field that can do tacks or a box and cross etc etc. Obviously the latter is the better choice (more versatile), but is it worth considering a non-programable machine for simply sewing PALS and other strategic tack reinforcements?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 267
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 04:06:16 PM »

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 07:33:32 PM »
Based on my conversation with Ryan I called Nick O' Sew and got a NKS-430D.  Nick takes great care of you, I've had the machine for a year and had zero problems. 
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 71
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2015, 11:41:42 PM »
Spend the money for a programable machine, my first one was a mechanical and every time it made a tack it sounded like it was going to self destruct.
I Picked up a used Juki 1900a hs from Nick O sewing in great shape and he even installed North-South feet for around $3,000.
Scott