Author Topic: Favorite scissors and nippers  (Read 1503 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 69
Favorite scissors and nippers
« on: May 19, 2015, 05:45:45 PM »
Ok it might sound silly, but I wanted to start a thread about our favorite scissors and thread nippers, since we all use them.

When I first started, I picked up a pair of heavy German made scissors and nips, thinking that they must be the best, only to find out that they were too big and klunky. After being dropped off my sewing machine a few times the tips are bent and the blades have nicks in them. I know that is my fault, but my KAI scissors don't  seem to be affected as much by a little abuse.

My favorite scissors are KAI model 7205 8". These are the handiest scissors I own. Also pictured is the Model 7230 9", I purchased these because I thought I needed a larger pair, after a year's worth of use I picked up my second pair of model 7205.

For thread nippers I recommend the 12 pack of Chinese nippers off of EBay, they were around $12.00 per dozen, they have very sharp blades, and when they get dull you just pitch them.
Feel free to share your thoughts.
Scott

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Favorite scissors and nippers
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 06:05:15 PM »
Cobra KAI for life!

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 01:21:04 AM »
Thanks for the info!
I also bought chinese nippers but mine only have one rivet to hold the blades so the blades moves and they are fucked up pretty quickly... Should get my hands on those double rivet ones!

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 01:29:29 PM »
Textilia snips made in Germany, best snips ever. 
My scissors of choice are Wiss.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2015, 11:30:28 PM by Disturbed »

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 06:34:05 PM »
Ditto. Don't dull quickly cut magnificently.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

@less@ndro

• View Profile
    • ChioccioLab
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:50:18 AM »
I started with the IKEA one (3€ for 3 scissors?) and some months ago i bought a beautiful KAI i paid around 30€, it is impressive the feeling when you cut something, it worths every cents.

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 08:33:45 AM »
What is the best model of KAI for 1000d/500d? And the smaller one for something lightweight like 210d or less? Thinking about ebay

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2015, 02:27:38 PM »
The golden eagle snips are the best invention ever. I used to have a bunch of them all around my work area and would attach them to whatever surface with magnets.

As for scissors, I never really cared.. Cutting Cordura is simple so I just used a generic grocery store scissor. Now with different types of fabrics I bought a Zweilling or something like that..
If I wanted to fork down a lot of money on a quality scissor I'd go for one of those pattern maker scissors, cause your cuts become extremely accurate and fast.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 111
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 09:51:25 AM »
What is the best model of KAI for 1000d/500d? And the smaller one for something lightweight like 210d or less? Thinking about ebay
If I could only have one pair of scissors it would be the KAI model 7205, followed by a pack of the Golden Eagle nippers.
They cut great, from pack cloth to belt webbing. My first pair went over a year befor I sent them back for a re sharpen.
I have spent at least twice the amount of money on my other scissors and nippers, which now reside in a drawer.
Scott

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 37
  • Likes Given: 37
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
What kind of Golden Eagle nippers? I see a model with slim metal handles sold in packs, plastic handles and thick plastic handle with a ring. I suppose the metal ones are the best?