Author Topic: Binding, Syncro or not?  (Read 4769 times)

Jamie

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
Binding, Syncro or not?
« on: May 24, 2015, 07:41:48 AM »
Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of looking for a machine to do binding only. I recently purchased a second hand Typical cylinder arm with a syncro binding attachment which is being serviced at the moment. I goes ok but not great.

People who use no syncro binders say it's not required and sales people say it is. I've seen videos of people nailing relatively tight radii without one.

I've heard good things about twin needle split bar machines for binding.

I understand that the back of the folder has to be able to come as close to the needle as possible to make the tight curves. Also that the tape has to feed evenly both before and after the folder mouth.

Ultimately I will need a machine set up to do 20mm and one for 25mm tape. I tried modifying some feet for the Seiko LSWN but the folder I'm using has too much stack on the underside of the mouth. So when you push the folder up close to the needle the tape has to dive out the back of the folder to be positioned under the foot which makes the work fall out. The Typical cylinder arm which has the folder inset into the plate so the tape feeds at a perfect height, only problem is I can't run the folder any further to the left to keep it on the tape on some of the tighter curves because it touches the feed dog. I keep running off the side of the 20mm tape.

On the Seiko with the swing arm I can bind 25mm tape around most gentle curves if I take my time. I'd like the option to go a bit harder with the turn and the speed.

Would love to hear your toughs on this.

Thanks

Jamie

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
Re: Binding, Syncro or not?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2015, 01:13:08 PM »
Jamie,
That's a tough question to answer because "your" product really dictates which binder will work best. So when people give you advice you really need to ask what product they have seen it used on.
I'm a one man sewing shop with 7 different machines and every one has its purpose, similar to a carpenter with 10 different styles of wood saws, most only see use a few times a week but they make life easy when the certain job arises.
In my search for a better way to bind inside corners I purchased a Juki 1508n and set it up with binding feet and multiple slide plates that have binders attached so that I can change them out quickly. This works great for my single layer product with many inside curves that I bind with 3/4" tape. I don't like it for long straight jobs because if I don't pay close attention the tape wanders.
So my search continued.

After hearing so many good things about a twin needle with a split bar I picked up two of them (one is set up with thick thread for repairing industrial tarps). The one I bind with is set up with a 1" swing away binder that is for 5038 binding tape. It works great for flat projects and is awesome for binding around corners.

After seeing a picture of Dave's, from BoGear Consew 227Rbfs? I came across a Consew 227r cylinder arm maching and bought it thinking I could upgrade it to a vibrating binder. That was not an option, I purchase some binding feet, and feed dog, then with some stainless steel, hammer, and cutoff wheel I built my own attachment base. This works great for binding the inside of a round bag, but I really don't use it for many other products. It has a small capacity bobbin and it doesn't have a quick way to adjust the stepping height.

Here are some things to think about when you search for binding attachments. You need to select the mouth opening and tape size as well as thickness. An attachment that runs tape real well my not feed webbing worth a darn, on the other side, an attachment that feeds webbing will allow thinner tape to wander in the attachment.
Good luck and please let us know how your search turns out.
Scott

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »
Hey Scott,

Thanks for your reply with images. A machine for each job seems to be the way forward, although every time I get a new machine I always think "I wonder if it'll do that?"

I like the the finish of the tape on the twin needle split bar and Dave has discussed the finer points of these machines. The secondhand market in Australia is limited and I've heard I could be looking at about 10-12K AUD for a new one. There's always DHL global forwarding, not sure how they would ship a machine, create maybe? Almost all of my binding is flat or can be pressed flat, this is steering me towards a flat bed machine.

At this stage I'm only using it for tape but I'm using 20 and 25mm. Ideally one machine will be set up for 20 the other 25.

Sometime the tape wonders on my cylinder arm. Maybe it's my technique, it only really happens on the tight corners.

I also have a Seiko LSWN set up with a swing away attachment. I goes well for the gentle curves but thats about it. That machine is my main one, so I'm looking at a lighter machine to do binding on a flat bed and also to put someone on so we don't have to juggle machines at the studio.

I come back to you with photos of the machines and the work.

Thanks

Jamie

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 04:19:35 AM »
Hey Scott,

This is the current set up on my Seiko LSWN 8BL. I swap the folder between 20 and 25mm tape, this is about as close as I can get the folder to the needle.

Ok, I can't seem to upload my image.

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 04:25:18 AM »
I've also found a twin needle split bar second hand. It's a Siruba, I would post an image but every time I click the image button I get this text appear

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 05:12:31 AM »
Guys, at my work they are going to buy a one-needle cylinder binding machine for tactical nylon gear making. Only one is allowed, so I need the best for every type of curved areas. We will use 19 mm and 25 mm binding tape. Can you recommend the type of machine I should look for? Not just the model, but the type (what kind of feed, engine, etc.)?

Jamie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2015, 05:11:23 AM »
@Stepan1983

Hey,

I use this machine for my binding:

http://www.imsmachines.com/products/detail/typical_tw3-s335vb

It's a Pfaff copy

It has a clutch motor and a syncro binding arm. Not sure if the syncro arm is required. I needed to get the feet, feed dog and plate modified to bring the folder over enough to go around the tighter curves.

I use it for light binding, up to 5 or 6mm. I use a 20mm and a 25mm folder.

It works well since I had it modified.

Hope this helps.

Jamie