Author Topic: DIY Cutting Table with Integrated Fabric Rollers  (Read 5723 times)

Javran

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
DIY Cutting Table with Integrated Fabric Rollers
« on: June 09, 2015, 09:04:51 AM »
I haven't seen a table like this before so I thought some of you might appreciate it. It doesn't have any fancy automation, or lasers, but it's a big improvement over my previous cutting table. The 6'x8' cutting surface, and roller cradle definitely speed up the cutting process. I lay the roll of fabric in the "cradle" then pull out however much I need. The rollers keep the bolt in place and let it unroll smoothly. Then when I'm done, the rollers allow me to roll the bolt back up quickly, and straight. The table is constructed with 2x4s, 2x6s, 4x4s, and MDF, screwed together with Deck Mates. The bottom shelf is used to store rolls of fabric

A quick video of the rollers in action:

I don't have any construction shots of the cutting table, but it's made basically the same as my packing/shipping table:

MDF looks surprisingly good after several coats of polyurethane:

I plan to eventually get a custom-cut Rhino cutting mat to cover the whole area: http://www.speedpress.com/products/2/1
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 06:05:56 PM by Javran »

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: DIY Cutting Table with Integrated Fabric Rollers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 10:09:11 AM »
Very nice.  I want one.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 163
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 11:26:52 AM »
Nice table, looks really solid! I assume you use a cutting mat between the table and the fabric? What's the tabletop height?

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 01:01:25 PM »
that is a very clever design og the table

Javran

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 03:50:34 PM »
Nice table, looks really solid! I assume you use a cutting mat between the table and the fabric? What's the tabletop height?
Yeah, when using a rotary cutter I use a cutting mat: either a 47.5"x35.5" Concept, or 37"x25" Dritz. The table height is 37.5"

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
I wanted to share my material handling system, my option doesn't have integrated rollers but it is portable and is something that I rig up for large cutting jobs.
When the frames aren't holding rolls of material, they are on the range holding plates of steel, that we shoot at with long range precision rifles.
Scott