Author Topic: About to launch a website, harsh criticism appreciated  (Read 2887 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
About to launch a website, harsh criticism appreciated
« on: June 11, 2015, 08:32:49 PM »
So, after a few years of making gear for friends, then friends of friends, then strangers on Easy, I decided to drop the cash and get someone to make a website for me.

www.twowaytrauma.com

My designer made the revisions I requested, and is asking for final comments and suggestions from me.  If anyone has time, and could provide feedback on things like: ease of use, ease of navigation, general aesthetic comments, or anything else I would really appreciate it.

Future plans for the website are to add a "hardware/DIY" section to sell things like Cobra buckles, HK clips, Mash hooks, and stuff like that for the beginning DIYer, and also a section that describes how to get a custom item built.

I've been looking at this thing far too long, and am way to focused on everything.  Thus, I have lost the ability to step back and view the website from a consumer's perspective.  Kind of the same thing that happens with some of the gear I make.  I focus on the trees, and can't see the forrest.

Also, if you are thinking of buying anything on the site (which I don't think will happen, since we all build our own gear), please don't do it.  Send me a PM, and I will get you a better price.

Thanks,

Chuck
Two Way Trauma
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 268
Re: About to launch a website, harsh criticism appreciated
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2015, 10:44:41 PM »
I spent the last 15 minutes or so whipping though your website, so I don't know that I caught everything. In any case, I hope these help.

Below are my points (in no particular order) and suggestions.

- In the Featured Products section on the Home Page the “add to cart” buttons are floating over top of the option drop downs - the CSS needs to be adjusted
- Get rid of the “no additional charge” behind the colour options, it feels redundant and it's obvious where you've used "+$X.XX"
- The “add to cart” buttons are misaligned on the product pages as well
- You should delete the “Features” page. The same info is already on the “About Us” page
- Ditch the sling videos on all pages except the sling pages
- Clicking directly on the nav button called “TWT Pages” brings up back end stuff…
- Blog link doesn’t work
- Spelling error in Warranty Section (our says out)
- Do you have a Return/Exchange Policy?
- Do you have a Mil/LE Discount?
- Ditch the “Events” page, unless you have tons of stuff to populate it with OR try and integrate an announcement bar
- “User Gallery” is a dead link
- Your videos are good. I like them.
- As a personal preference, I dislike drop down menus and most of that stuff you have in yours could be relocated to the footer of your page or distributed along the main nav bar
- I’d also ditch the mini-contact form that’s in the footer. You already have a full page dedicated to it.
- Do you have a direct email? I’d post that on your contact page if you do.
- I also like to be able to click on a “Products” nav button and see all of the products a company offers or at the very least all the categories laid out on one page. Kinda goes back to ditching the drop down menus point.

Disclaimer: I'm not a website expert and certainly every person is entitled to their own preferences, so I hope you understand that these are just my observations. Feel free to hoist them aboard or not...the choice is yours.

Fusilier

• View Profile
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2015, 02:27:04 AM »
Overall the site has a nice look to it. I like how it doesn't look like a 'canned' retail template. Gear Dynamics hit a lot of excellent points above.

How about a FAQ entry on available shipping methods. For example, if you only ship Fed Ex or another courier, it can be very expensive to ship to Canada due to the average courier's collection of duties. It would be nice to know the shipping options before going through the order process.

PS. USPS is the cheapest way to ship into Canada as they hand over orders to Canada Post who only charge a nominal brokerage fee (plus taxes and duties if need be). If you've found a better/cheaper way, that that would be useful on a shipping FAQ.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2015, 09:33:47 AM »
Same here, not a web design expert but here are my 2 cts:

- Make the home page product carrousel stands out more with a dark gray background like the "contact" page and "featured gear" in lighter gray background making it consistent with the rest of your different pages

- Reorganize the top menu items, I think "shop" should be right next to "features", then maybe "you cart", depending on what you want to put forward, I think you can put all the subitems of the "TWT Pages in a footer menu (see an examples here : https://goo.gl/pTJWCe / https://goo.gl/zEHaxo) except maybe the "about us" link

- I would put the facebook/twitter links in the footer too, not the header, which would let you more space to show some submenu items directly in the menu

- Make the contact textarea background in the footer consistent with the other inputs (light gray), and a width aligned to the right of the above inputs (name and email). Also submit button the same color as the newsletter subscrbe button.

- Pay attention to font size, ie. "We are sorry, no shipment method matches the characteristics of your order." appears as big as a title. I don't really like big fonts and in your case it breaks the consistency. I think it's important that different title levels are easily understandable and stand out clearly from the content text

- When you click on "TWT Pages" it shows the example default page of your template

- I agree with Gear Dynamics, we should be able to click on the "shop" item and access all the products

- I'm not a big fan of the narrow font (arial?) used for your motto in the header

- I really dont like the pixel borders / separator on the product page and same comment about the "Add to Cart" floating over option dropmenu

- There are some pages with top titles in white, others in gray and some in light blue

Otherwise the overall look of the website is really nice, I like the sobriety of gray shades and big buttons, you just have to watch out for consistency over every page :)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Thanks for all of your time and feedback.  I was aware of some of the issues, but not all of them.  I will try to compile a list of them and get them to my designer tonight.

Thanks again for the feedback,

Chuck
Two Way Trauma
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:07:54 PM »
Not much to add except for Make the home page product carrousel a little slower I could hardly read it and see the pic before it changed, not very touch friendly, not very tablet friendly. Both had some layout issues on my surface.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 09:15:58 PM »
Thanks for the feedback WPJ.  I'll work with my designer on this.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 09:20:40 PM »
Let me know if you want some screen shots of the issues.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 09:25:15 PM »
screen shots are definitely appreciated.  I only have so many platforms, and I'm trying not to bug the poop out the people I know with all their different tablets, phones, and such.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
screen shots are definitely appreciated.  I only have so many platforms, and I'm trying not to bug the poop out the people I know with all their different tablets, phones, and such.

Shoot me an IM and I'll email them to you.

BTW, I like the video you have up there.