Author Topic: WTFix  (Read 6914 times)

Shaddox Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 117
Re: WTFix
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 11:11:59 AM »
I know I'm hoping for time savings in production with these.  The added benefit of overall weight reduction will be a nice bonus and a marketing point but overall I'm interested in whether the cost of the WTFix is offset by streamlining productions and reducing my overall labor costs in production.  As Paul mentioned, labor is generally the most expensive part of my operations. 

Durability is also a big concern for me.  I tend to overbuild most of my products and that has become a feature most of my customers appreciate and have come to expect.
Clay- Shaddox Tactical LLC

Kord

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2014, 05:18:29 PM »
I too have some durability concerns, most of which come from seeing a big name jump carrier having straps rip.  The odd thing is we have repaired (with standard webbing sewn to reinforce them) some from the time they were first brought to market, even had them shipped to us from in country, others didn't even make it through work ups when they tore, but then we had a guy that was using one for 4 years/2 deployments and just went out on another one so I'm at a loss on how durable the material is.  I know I have customers that want stuff to last forever and then there are those that just need it to last 8 to 16 months.  But I do see trends in using new materials and it won't stop me from making products with it, even have some that ask for it.

I would like to know more about the material, if there are things like salt water that will weaken it?  If being too dry or too wet? too hot too cold etc?  If there is a standard life expectancy?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2015, 11:20:17 AM »
I too have some durability concerns, most of which come from seeing a big name jump carrier having straps rip.  The odd thing is we have repaired (with standard webbing sewn to reinforce them) some from the time they were first brought to market, even had them shipped to us from in country, others didn't even make it through work ups when they tore, but then we had a guy that was using one for 4 years/2 deployments and just went out on another one so I'm at a loss on how durable the material is.  I know I have customers that want stuff to last forever and then there are those that just need it to last 8 to 16 months.  But I do see trends in using new materials and it won't stop me from making products with it, even have some that ask for it.

I would like to know more about the material, if there are things like salt water that will weaken it?  If being too dry or too wet? too hot too cold etc?  If there is a standard life expectancy?

Have you received samples yet?

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 290
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2015, 11:25:34 AM »

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2015, 02:01:49 PM »
I have a question - can/do you make the WTFix surface attachments in something longer than 2 channels wide?

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2015, 02:55:06 PM »
I saw a large stack of your WTFix Straps on someone's order of stuff they were showing the other day on facebook.

I'll have to catch up with you soon and give this a try as I think it would be a great time saver.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »
I have been singing the praises of this type of MOLLE interface with friends. There is a general perception that lightweight is less durable but that is not true in this case. These are actually MORE durable due to the material and the removal of most of the potential failure points of a rig. A stitch can't fail when it never existed in the first place!
While you are correct with the fact that a non-existing stitch cannot fail, you are certainly introducing new areas which can and will fail by adding a bunch of holes into your designs.
I had a guy test a Hypalon-based belt, which he managed to rip when one of the slots caught onto something. Would this ~120kg viking running at full sprint rip a traditional PALS grid? Maybe, but I've never seen someone get their PALS grid stuck on anything.

Am I advocating that people shouldn't use Hypalon based attachments for their products? No. I like them as attachments, I am just a bit weary of using it on rigs unless the entire thing is covered in pouches.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2015, 12:39:13 AM »
Personally, I'm all for Hypalon mounting solutions, mostly because they can be industrialized. Anything that gets standardized/industrialized in our industry is a productivity bonus, if not now, then in the future.

About the snagging, staying with slots instead of cutting square openings should do the trick. The weight gain should not make one oblivious to other important points - and with slots, you can mount pouches at 1" height intervals instead of 2" with squares.

If I may be picky, the previous generation of WTFix that I bought had 1" slots, which allowed for mounting on 1.75"-2" belts as well as PALS. Not a frequent requirement but it was a small marketing bonus.

Kord

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2015, 05:08:29 PM »

Have you received samples yet?

Yes I do have some samples and had hoped to use them in a new project, unfortunately that project has all but stopped.

I did have the opportunity to talk to a sales rep from Trelleborg and found it very informative.

I still hope to work the samples  into something ... ... just not sure what.