Author Topic: Binder for double needle machine  (Read 5565 times)

Green Ant

• View Profile
    • Green Ant
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 7
Binder for double needle machine
« on: August 04, 2015, 11:32:14 PM »
I recently purchased my 2nd sewing machine. It's a Dürkopp 380-105 double needle system w/ lower transport plus needle transport. I bought it because it's really strong, can go through thick materials and because you can detach the 2nd needle and then it works perfectly as a single needle machine.

As I neither have space nor money to purchase a separate machine for binding, I'd like to attach a binder (coming from the right! Not from the front!) to that machine.

Here's a pic of the foot and the stitching plate. Note that there is already a threaded hole where the binder might be attached.

Currently, the right needle is detached. I think it would be possible for binding to
- take the right needle and detach the left one
- take another foot and cut away the left part a little bit and the front part (to make it shorter so that it can go around corners better.

As I'm trying to find out how to solve this problem, any ideas are warmly welcome!

Thanks a lot in advance!
« Last Edit: August 07, 2015, 08:39:35 AM by Green Ant »
Green Ant
Individual Outdoor and Tactical Equipment
www.greenant-equipment.de
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

Green Ant

• View Profile
    • Green Ant
Re: Binder for double needle machine
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:15 AM »
Does anyone happen to have experience with the Sailrite binder for 1" webbing?

What I could figure out:

It needs two mounting points (threaded holes) to the right of the needle, between 0.46" and 0.55" between these two holes. (My stitching plate has two such holes with a distance of 0.59" - I think i could file the binder bracket a little bit to widen it.)

What I would like to know:

Which distance can the holes have to the needle? In this video you can see that you can move the binder left and right a little bit but in which limits? The technical documentation doesn't say anything about that.

Does anyone use this binder and can share information on it?

Thanks a lot in advance!
Green Ant
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 09:18:18 PM »
I would contact an attachment company and have them make you exactly what you need. The "drop in" binders, are never that good. I use B&J Attachments: http://www.bjattachments.com/ they are located in Quebec and have reasonable pricing, especially considering our dollar is low right now. Email them and provide them all the info they need. You might need to send them some materials to test.

Green Ant

• View Profile
    • Green Ant
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 02:07:58 AM »
I've already contacted a few companies (one of which has already been suggested here in this forum). However, if possible, I'd rather stick with an "off the shelf" solution than a custom made one for money reasons.

I'm already prepared for getting a custom made piece of kit, however in that case I think I'll prefer a German or European based company. Shipping, customs declaration, back and forth for minor adjustments, all of that usually should be less nuisance if it can be handed locally.

Green Ant
fb.com/GreenAntEquipment

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:39:18 PM »
Off the shelf binders, hemmers and folders rarely work as you want it to...
I've had a bunch of different ones, from different manufacturers, and they all straight suck 99% of the time.

A straight binder with some tinkering and modifications might work ok.

At school we have some stuff from B&J (it's a Canadian thing I guess) and they are simply amazing.

ksc gear

• View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 11:15:29 PM »
buy once, cry once.