Author Topic: Fabric and/or Webbing storage  (Read 3398 times)

draaven

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 15
Fabric and/or Webbing storage
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:21:26 PM »
Hey guys...

What are you guys using to store or hold your webbing rolls and fabric rolls?

Do you know of anything that would allow the webbing rolls to be stored in an upright position so the webbing could just be pulled off and cut to length while still on the holder? I imagine it would be pretty easy to make something to where you could store numerous rolls right next to each other as they are only an inch or so in width. Maybe on some kind of dowel or just pvc pipe? I am more interested in a base that could be made, I guess.

For the big rolls of fabric, that might be a bit more difficult, but I am wondering what you guys use for that other than a huge cutting table with built in rollers, etc. My sewing area is very small right now, so I am looking for something to more or less just keep the fabric horizontal on a roll until I need to pull a length to cut straight across.

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

e

Anoon

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Fabric and/or Webbing storage
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:55:16 AM »
Look into an Electrician's spool caddy for the webbing and paracord type items. There is a thread here somewhere with different solutions. I think it was aimed at paracord storage, so try searching that .  I am also struggling with rolls and my tiny work space.

Anoon

• View Profile
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:57:23 AM »

draaven

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2015, 06:00:21 PM »
I will definitely be looking into one of those. Thanks for the info and link!

Still having trouble finding one for fabric.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:09 PM »
I don't stock a lot of fabric.  If the price break is about 15 yards or less, that's how much I buy.  If the price break is more, I usually just buy a couple of yards.  if it comes in a roll, it's usually small enough for me to stack them in a corner.  For the fabrics like mesh, fleece, leather, and stuff like that, I have a ladder leaning against the wall.  I fold each piece so it is about 3 feet long, and 8-10 inches wide, and put it on the rungs of the ladder.  Nothing groundbreaking going on in my shop...
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 06:44:58 PM »
Need something like a 30in dia x 61in wide revolving fabric roll holder.   Second-hand commercial coat rack on wheels, mount the revolving wheel onto the horizontal bar.

draaven

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 09:01:40 PM »
So here's what I ended up doing for the webbing storage. Not great, but it works for now.

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 35
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 01:13:00 AM »
I buy 1.5" PVC pipes from my local big box hardware store. They are 10 feet long. I'll cut them to 80 inches (6.5ft) and save the cut ends for small width rolls, or use butt connectors to make a longer tube. Once the fabric is on the roll, it can be stored vertically to take up less space, and will easily unroll on your cutting table.

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 02:52:54 AM »
I'm about to build a cutting table with a provision underneath it for supporting rolls horizontally. It will end up almost like a dispenser unrolling material off the rolls at the bottom right onto the table top, I'll take some pictures when it's done. The table will hold a couple rolls for speed of production on large batches, the rest of the rolls will be standing up leaning into a rack which is basically some dowels sticking out horizontally from the wall to keep the rolls from falling over.

For webbing run some shock cord through the roll and put a cordlock on it, then put it on something like draaven's PVC or Mike's wire rack. When you need webbing just grab and pull, the shock cord will provide a little resistance to manage the roll until you've used enough and need to adjust the cordlock.