Author Topic: Small assault pack  (Read 10807 times)

SR Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 11
Small assault pack
« on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:05 AM »
About a year ago I decided to build my first backpack, a small assault pack. Today I finally finished the improved number two.

I'm still thinking about the straps and how to make them, any advice is appreciated here.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Re: Small assault pack
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 11:12:02 AM »
That looks really good. I'd like it if it were a little wider though. Like 6 channels of PALS.

For the straps, I'd make them simple. If you want to add a d-ring or maybe some 1" elastic, that would work.

- 2-2.5" wide
- 17"ish Long
- 1/4" padding
- Slightly contoured (no need for dramatic curves)
- 1" webbing tacked down the top of the pad with a running end up top that can be feed into and doubled back through the upper Triglides
- TLL-100 Ladderloc on the bottom for tightening with separate piece of 1" webbing for attaching to the lower Triglides and then routing though the Ladderloc

If you have a good binding setup for 3/4" tape, you could try constructing the pad in layers and then binding around the outside. I usually prefer sewing things inside out and then flipping, to avoid the binding tape all together. Are the inside seams all finished with binding tape?

SR Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »
Thanks for the input.

Yes, all seams are finished with binding tape. I bind free hand and avoid binding tape wherever I can....

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 01:02:03 PM »
Since it is a smallish pack you could just make them from some 1.5" and 1" webbing and the tll-100 as suggested by GearDynamics below.  I have a few straps like this if you want I can send you a pic.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 03:43:58 PM »
You could just do webbing straps, but I think some more purpose built straps would look nicer.

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:07 PM »
You could just do webbing straps, but I think some more purpose built straps would look nicer.

Agree for sure, as cdh??? Said he has refined is straps to a point where he only uses two, one for sew in ad on for removable.  That's where I want to get to.

Webbings straps are just a very light weight, space saving while packed option.

SR Tactical, you said this was version two, what did you use for straps on version 1?

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 09:38:25 PM »
I'm digging the pack, there are a lot of good features there.  I'm especially digging the beefy carry handle and the amount of PALS on there, as well as the fact that the shoulder straps are so easily removable.

My initial thought was that it looked a little narrow.  After thinking about it for a few seconds, I kind of like the design.  It's boxy in a good way to allow for plenty of volume, and for hot climates, it will reduce the amount of your back that is covered by the pack to facilitate better cooling.

Any chance we could see the inside?
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

SR Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 11:47:55 PM »
Thank you for the feedback!

This is what the straps looked like on number one:

The straps are made form closed cell foam and a layer of 500D Cordura.

Concerning the narrow footprint: I really wanted it that way. Especially if you wear a plate carrier and a rifle it's much more comfortable, on the other hand it sacrifices a lot of space that way.

Pictures of the inside will follow later today. Nothing too fancy on the inside though.

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
I like it! I call this type of packs "assault pods" instead of packs, because i think that name is more descriptive :)

I have one trick that i use with all my small packs with detachable shoulder straps; When it comes to the upper and lower attachment points, Instead of just folding the webbing on top of itself to form a loop, like what you did here, i fold the webbing in a V-shape; see the attached pictures; (notice that the other end of the webbing is cut straight, the other end in a 45 degree angle)

Upper attachment point

Lower attachment point

There are two reasons why i do it this way; first of all, it reduces the seam thickness, because instead of having to sew through two layers of webbing, i have to sew through only one layer.

And the second reason is more important; That V-shape puts the attachment points in a more natural angle. For example, i think that as the lower attachment point in your pack is at 90 degree angle, when you attach the shoulder straps and put some weight into the pack, it will twist the attachment point into a direction, unnatural for it, thanks to the 90 degree angle. It might also cause some extra strain for the seam (?) Also, if instead of a triglide, you use a D-ring (and the triglide is in your shoulder strap) that will help with the angle issue as well.

Same goes for the upper attachment points; unless your neck is 2 inches wide, the attachment points are forced in an unnatural angle.

Anyway, thatīs the method i use with this kind of packs...

@less@ndro

• View Profile
    • 9minuti.it
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2015, 01:22:17 AM »
Very clean, personally I prefer to end the zipper under the pack so I can open it totally.
Thanks for the explanation cdh, I also do it after you explained on DIY but the way of cut one side at 45° is interesting, I always cut normally and then trimmed it on both side.
Website: www.9minuti.it          A smart back panel for backpain www.smileBack.cloud

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiocciolabstudio

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2015, 03:13:58 AM »
I also do it after you explained on DIY but the way of cut one side at 45° is interesting, I always cut normally and then trimmed it on both side.

Like they say in Thailand; "Same same, but different" :)

SR Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2015, 03:54:23 AM »
Great idea with the V-shape, I'll try that on my next piece.

I'm still thinking about the straps though.

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2015, 06:02:54 AM »

Use a triglide, you use a D-ring (and the triglide is in your shoulder strap) that will help with the angle issue as well....

An add on to this is that if you terminate the d ring on the end of the strap, you can insert the triglide I to the dring for a very quick don/dof of the strap

SR Tactical

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2015, 08:28:19 AM »
This is what the inside looks like:

cdhtac

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 08:36:02 AM »
Great idea with the V-shape, I'll try that on my next piece.

I'm still thinking about the straps though.

No probs, this is what this forum is for..

I prefer to make my straps contoured and bind around them.. Personally i think the end result looks better than with inside out-method, but thatīs just me. For a pack of this size, i think plain straps like what you did for your previous pack will work just fine; no need for the contoured shape

Below is a picture of the straps that are standard for my small packs (Although my pack designs vary greatly, instead of always re-inventing the straps, i only have two standards strap designs; one for small packs, one for larger packs)

With a pack that small, i think you could even get away with making the straps completely out of webbing (especially if itīs meant to be used with a PC; then having no padding would actually be an advantage instead of a problem)