Author Topic: Blow out trauma pod  (Read 1456 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
Blow out trauma pod
« on: September 05, 2015, 11:26:54 AM »
One of the first pouches I made was a blow out first aid pouch similar to the BFG bleeder pouch.  To be honest, I pretty much copied that because I had no idea how to sew a pouch.  After I learned the "T" method, I made some modifications and changes, and have been making those pouches for a while.

A little while ago, I got an order from a returning customer for three of the pouches, and I decided to redesign the pouch, and make a bunch of improvements.

Here are the features of this pouch which are an improvement over previous pouches I have made:

1.  Constructed of a double layer of Cordura bonded together.  The fold is on the front edge of the pouch, eliminating the need for a seam or binding.
2.  Flap is also double layered.  It attaches to the inside of the pouch with velcro, so it's height is adjustable.
3.  I've added a red buckle or webbing.  I'm not sure which one I will stick with.
4.  I used the "wrapping paper" folding method that filmmuur used in his last post.

Fully loaded black with red thread

Typhon and Tan showing the blow out webbing and adjustable flap

and that's about all I have to say about that.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Blow out trauma pod
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2015, 11:49:08 AM »
Looks great.  Can i ask what the intended use is for the Velcro on the side at the top?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 08:38:40 PM by WPJ »

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2015, 03:00:47 PM »
Excellent question Will.  That is a 2x2" piece of velcro folded over the the edge of the pouch, leaving about a 1x2" piece on both sides.  The purpose is to allow the attachment of an elastic keeper for trauma shears.  I didn't include them on the three I made for the dude, as I previously had a different way of securing them, and he said he didn't want/need it.

I figure it costs a few pennies, only takes a minute, doesn't really add any weight, and doesn't get in the way if you don't want to use it.

I won't say that I'm trying to make a "one size fits all" pouch.  I am trying to add some versatility.  I'm also working on a way to put a small elastic pouch for two latex gloves on the inside of the flap.

Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2015, 04:32:45 PM »
You should really fold the ends of your webbing, elastic and binding tape.. It will make your product look a lot cleaner and it will increase the durability of it.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 12:36:31 AM »
Thank you for the feedback.

I still stand firm on my position to not fold under the ends of 1" MOLLE webbing.  I believe that a cut from a hot knife will provide the structural integrity that I need, and to me it looks aesthetically pleasing.  You do raise some good points.  While making about 7 of these pouches yesterday, I was getting frustrated with my generic binder.  It was getting choked, and couldn't feed the 8 layers of 1000D cordura at the bottom of the pouch consistently.  I thought about two options:  binding by hand, and the other was using fabric glue and binder clips.

I didn't feel like finding all the binder clips I needed, so I used my fingers as the binding attachment.  It worked pretty good, and I hot cut the ends with a hot knife after triple stitching it.

When I start making more of these, if I bind by hand, I will probably cut the binding to length, add an inch on each end, fold it back and glue it in place to do the hand binding.

Regarding the elastic strap:  It's a knitted fabric, so I don't really have to terminate the end.   However, I just did that up real quick to answer the question from WPJ. Like, literally, I saw his question, sewed the stuff, took a picture, and posted it.  I'm not opposed to folding elastic under to make a seam.  I do it on all my shotgun cards, even though it probably isn't necessary.  I think it looks good.  I'm still trying to think of the best way to do that strap.  I might not even use elastic, and just put a 2 inch long strip of velcro on a "TBD" length of webbing.  We will see what happens...

I really do appreciate the feedback, and if you have any more, please let me know!

Chuck

« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 11:14:59 AM by TwoWayTrauma »

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 11:43:32 AM »
Actually, because it is a knit is the reason why you should properly terminate the end! Ever seen a full tshirt unravel? Yea, knit fabrics will do that.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 03:55:29 PM »
Hot Knife cut webbing:    As the pouch gets used, washed, wet, etc those fibers will start to soften/loosen as the resin gets worked out, eventually the seared end will get pulled thru the stitching or bartack.    Cheap insurance to reduce warranty work, just factor in an inch more per webbing piece vs the time needed to totally replace the seared end stuff later.

@less@ndro

• View Profile
    • 9minuti.it
  • Liked: 75
  • Likes Given: 120
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 12:49:41 AM »
I'm 100% agree with essal and Stoner. It's a pity because the pouch is nice and it could be better, maybe you could try to do one with folded webbing and make some comparison.
Website: www.9minuti.it          A smart back panel for backpain www.smileBack.cloud

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/chiocciolabstudio