Author Topic: Sling Prototype  (Read 3883 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 253
Sling Prototype
« on: September 07, 2015, 11:25:48 AM »
This is another sling design that we've been testing over the past year and I think it's time to share. It's very simple but also very effective. It's the same collapsing loop design as our Accelerator Sling but with a different adjustment mechanism. Instead of using a single buckle this one uses two flat triglides, only one of with is actually sewn to the sling. The other simply "floats" on the lower webbing. It does not require any sort of pull tab; the user simply slides the buckles to the desire position. Like others on the market it uses friction created by weaving the webbing through the buckles, the difference is that because two buckles are used instead of one, they "loosen" and slide more freely when adjusted, making it very fast and smooth. The one in the picture uses all metal hardware, but the potential for using acetal is there too.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 11:31:32 AM by Gear Dynamics »

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
Re: Sling Prototype
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 01:05:50 PM »
Very ingenious and simple, when moving to the acetal hardware will you have the same friction resistance and ease of movement?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 01:42:32 PM »
The adjustment portion will likely stay aluminum, unless a specially made buckle is produced. The whole thing is only 80g with all metal hardware.

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 02:34:19 PM »
Simple amazing, 80g. Well no need then talk about Low Drag Hear

munkygirl

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 09:02:21 PM »
What kind of triglides are those?

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 09:47:57 PM »
Is that the AustriAlpin 2 piece aluminum frame buckle set?  It looks like you have it set up in a pretty interesting way.  I'm digging the way you do your closed loop systems for slings.  If I wasn't personally set in my ways, I would probably make myself one like that, but I've just used the dangling end with a ladderlock or spring loaded cam buckle for so long that I've gotten very comfortable with it.

There is something about the AustriAlpin hardware that is just appealing.  Last week, I had a meeting with the owner of a store that buys my gear.  He wanted a sling with a 1 inch cobra buckle on it.  I asked him why, and he pretty much admitted that he just wanted it because the cobra buckle is sexy.  I can't argue with that.

I've been toying around with the idea of introducing a few new slings on my website.  The first new one I introduce is probably going to be a standard GI sling.  It will be a couple feet of webbing, and two tragedies for each end for a total of four.

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
These slings are made with two AustriAlpin Triglides. They work well for this application because they are slightly wider than others, which makes them easier to grab.

AustriAlpin does make some nice hardware. I personally like my slings light and fast, so putting a Cobra buckle on there probably isn't gonna happen for any of my products.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 09:40:31 AM »
OK, some stuff has changed with this latest one. I've swapped out the lower triglide for the square loop buckle, and now both buckles are sewn to the adjustment strap. This combo is very smooth and fast to adjust and puts the webbing path on an optimal angle. Also went back to the box and cross method of stitching. I'd like to eventually find a replacement buckle for the top triglide, in order to keep the cost as low as possible. It would work well with a rectangular loop. Just need to find one that is wide enough that it won't slip through the lower buckle and tall enough that the front is roughly in the middle of the square loop.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 09:44:00 AM by Gear Dynamics »

WPJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 08:05:32 PM »
The sling is looking sharp and deadly. Glad to see it come along, when do you think you will release it to the wild?

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 10:06:19 PM »
I must admit that I'm not sure about how the hardware works, but I'll take your word for it when you say it works the same as the other ones..

I'm curious though, what happens if the user get the loop stuck on something? Any way to get out of it? I use a free tail sling design for that reason.
And I won't accept "it doesn't happen" cause I've had users get hung up on my Hypalon grid which was about 1/10" in height and 1.15" wide.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
I've been working on an adjustable dog leash for a professional dog walker.  Yep, that's a real thing, and she probably makes more money than me.

She said a lot of her clients with small dogs would tie long leashes in knots because they weren't adjustable.

In this situation, a loose tail configuration wouldn't be good, because the tail would be dragging on the ground.  The obvious solution seemed to be a closed loop configuration with a ghetto rigged triglide and pull tab.

The slider loop is on a snap bold that connects to the dog collar.  I wondered the same thing: "will this loop get caught up on anything?"

The answer is "yes" it will get caught up on stuff, just like a rifle sling will, and just like any other loop no matter how big or small will.  It's a dog running around on a leash, sooner or later the thing is going to run between you legs, circle around you twice, and run back through your legs.

I think the same thing is true for a rifle sling.  You already have a loop of nylon and steel around your body.  Adding another loop might increase the chances of stuff getting snagged a little bi, but I think the trade off between that and the loose tail is debatable.  I think it comes down to preference, experience, and training. 

I tried to think of ways to add a "keeper" to the big loop, but everything I thought of would either be cumbersome, or add too much stuff to the leash and make the problem worse.

I'm sure the closed loop slings are good, and maybe even superior to the ones I make, but I haven't trained with them and I have no experience with them.  I made my "two point to one point sling" after using a bunch of nylon slings.  I took the features I liked, I trashed what I didn't like, and I made some stuff up.

So I think we are in a situation of comparing tradeoffs here.  I guess I don't really have a good answer.

Ben, there is a good chance I will buy one of your slings when it goes live.  I just want to check it out.

Bonus!  Picture of sling for professional dog walker.

Chuck

Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 10:22:56 AM »
@essal, the hardware is simple. It's just webbing woven through the buckles to create friction. Because they are staggered and the bottom buckle is just a loop, there is less friction than if it were a flat triglide alone, thus it's easier to move. Without going out and machining a new piece of hardware, I wanted it (at least initially) to be made with something commercially available.

As for the adjustment loop getting caught, I don't even consider it an issue. I've been using a fighting rifle for a long time, and beyond your average soldier, I also happen to be an advanced small arms instructor and an urban operations instructor, both of which involve lots of weapon manipulation and shooting. With all of that, I can say I have never seen a dude get snagged with the adjustment loop on a sling. Not to say that it's impossible, but in my experience, unlikely. I have, however, seen people get hung up by loose, dangling webbing straps. I've found that loose webbing tends to wrap more freely around things, drag against stuff, get caught on wire obstacles, get caught in vehicle doors etc. Just my observations.

If people are really concerned with emergency removal, I do sell a quick release attachment that uses a side-release buckle. It can be attached to the front or the rear and it's also handy to add some length if your mounting points are farther apart. As a related note, if you look at issued slings for most militaries, they usually adjust using a webbing loop with a simple triglide on the front end. On the UOI course, we modified the issue sling using an elastic helmet band looped through the front sling swivel then attached to the sling. This allowed the weapon to be carried tight(ish) to the body, but still able to be shouldered thanks to the flex in the helmet band. With that example, yet another loop was created and I don't think I ever had an issue.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 04:55:55 PM »
Here's a user/tester submitted pic of the new sling. So far, nothing but positive feedback. I'm hoping to have these online in the next month of so.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2015, 01:21:16 PM »
Here's another one in PenCott GreenZone. Seems to be VERY popular with the Europeans.

I should take a minute and give a shout out to Whisky Two-Four for the excellent laser cut labels we now use on all of our products! Highly recommended!

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2017, 06:59:00 PM »
Well, over a year later and we decided to machine our own slider. It took a lot of development and testing to get the right blend of "bite" and ease of adjusting with the 1" webbing. I think these are version eight or something. No pull cords or tabs. These are two prototype finalists.

- Will be available in every colour we offer
- Made with 1" webbing
- Very lightweight
- Machined aluminum buckle
- Welded steel link point
- Double bar tacked (front and back)

Which profile do you guys like better?