Author Topic: MOLLE platform  (Read 2087 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
MOLLE platform
« on: September 07, 2015, 08:22:49 PM »
I will probably use this as an add-on for an assault pack I am building for myself. I was looking for a way to improve my chest rigs, and from some of the reading on here, it seems like Ben from Gear Dynamics and some others are using thin foam to add a little padding and structure. Previously, most of my chest rigs were simply a double layer of 1000 denier Cordura.

I went to Wal-Mart, bought a cheap 3mm yoga mat for about 9 bucks, and cut it up for the padding.  I sewed everything on inside out including the outer two vertical stitching columns for the PALS webbing.  After turning right side out, I finished sewed around the boarder and finished stitching the PALS.  I used lock tight 200 spray adhesive to stick the padding to the cordura.  It worked pretty well.

It took me a few tries to get everything right, but I think its about there.

Boom, chest rig game improved.

Thanks also to die_dunkelheit for the pictures of how to connect the 1 inch webbing to hardware to allow for some movement.  I was hiking yesterday, and noticed that the 1.5 inch piece of webbing I sewed directly to my personal chest rig was carrying the most of the load on a single edge.

I'm sure I also incorporated some other techniques I read about on this forum into the rig.  Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience. 

I even folded the edges of the PALS webbing under.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

ohks

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: MOLLE platform
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:02:09 AM »
Nice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ViktorHUN

• View Profile
    • Little Needle Facebook Page
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:34:35 AM »
Hey Chuck, may I ask why did you bind the bottom edge?
Little Needle

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 06:17:36 AM »
I'm curious about the use of the Tri-Glides. What was the thought behind utilizing them the way you did?

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:49:00 AM »
That idea of spreading the webbing over a 2 inch area is genius.....really cuts down on the bulk in the layers to.....i really have to try that.
I often use tri glides in place of square rings as well......they are barely more exspensive or not any more exspensive at all.....and if you dont have the rings they work just fine.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2016, 07:51:25 PM »
I bound the bottom edge because I didn't think ahead, and there wasn't enough fabric to fold under and top stitch.  I now sew the whole thing inside out and top stitch with no binding.

I used the triglide like that because I don't use rectangular loops.  There is literally a difference of a few pennies per piece. I buy the triglides by the 1000, and couldn't really justify buying that many rectangular loops.

The purpose of having the webbing like that is to allow the angle of the strap to change while distributing stress over all the stitches. If it were sewn straight into the panel, and the pull on it was 15 degrees from vertical, most of the stress would be on one corner.  I got the technique from someone else on here.

It also has the added benefit of reduced thickness for sewing.

Chuck

Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Stepan1983

• View Profile
    • SPLAV
  • Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 41
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 10:29:50 AM »
You dont have any benefit when using this method on lower side buckles. Instead, you should continue PALS webbing to attach this buckles. This way you will have only two layers of webbing.