Author Topic: First shot at an assault pack  (Read 2373 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
First shot at an assault pack
« on: September 09, 2015, 06:25:55 PM »
SR Tactical's pack motivated me to try one of my own.

Pack turned out ok, but it was a great learning experience.  As always, thanks to everyone for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

SR Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: First shot at an assault pack
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 12:27:47 AM »
Looks good so far! I like how your straps turned out.

Try terminating the seams of the PALS loops inside your seam allowance the next time.

I prefer a seperate bottom piece, because this makes it easier to sew symmetrically.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 08:12:29 AM »
Thanks!  Separate bottom piece is a great idea.  I've been thinking of using 1680 denier ballistic nylon for my next one.

When making the spine, I sewed the loop together, and based the measurements off of the total perimeter of the back of the pack, including the 1/2 inch seam allowance.  This left me with 2 inches of extra spine at the bottom which I folded over.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 10:42:53 AM »
Try terminating the seams of the PALS loops inside your seam allowance the next time.

When i determine the dimensions (mostly talking about the width here) of my packs, i do not think how wide the pack should be, in centimeters.. I think how wide the pack should be in Pals columns. Just for the reason you mentioned. I do not like to leave the ends of the pals webbing exposed on either end, and because of that, i normally use a 3 part center piece; One with the other side of the zipper sewn in, one with the second side of zipper sewn in (this side usually has the stormflap) and one with Pals sewn in. This picture should explain what i mean:

I prefer a separate bottom piece, because this makes it easier to sew symmetrically.

Separate bottom piece also adds some structure to the pack, and i like that feature in packs

I like the shape of your shoulder straps, however, i tend to finish the binding to the top end; i think itīs not that visible over there. I also prefer to sew down the binding to the shoulder straps with two lines of stitching; It gives a more finished look, and adds some stiffness into the straps

Aaaaand one more thing :) I always make the top and bottom corners rounded (top corners always more rounded than bottom corners). That too adds some structure to the pack (also, the zippers operate more smoothly especially if the zipper has a stormflap) . Here is the basic backpanel template that i use with my assault/other small packs:

« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 10:44:32 AM by cdhtac »

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2015, 10:43:59 AM »
Trust me, you don't need ballistic Cordura on the bottom.. Most of my packs are double 500D bottoms, and I've yet to tear through any of them. And the only reason it's a double layer is that it looks better on the inside..