Author Topic: Textiles industry information sources  (Read 7277 times)

Shaddox Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 117
Re: Textiles industry information sources
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2014, 11:59:46 AM »
Although this thread seems to have become a Multicam thread I wanted to mention a supplier for other materials.

For the closed cell polyethylene foam that I use in half my products I use Foam Factory Inc at www.foambymail.com, not to be confused with The Foam Factory at www.thefoamfactory.com who is a lot more expensive.
Their prices per foot or yard of foam is competitive but once you factor in their free shipping on a 50 foot roll of foam they blow the competition out of the water.  Some of the other guys charge as much for shipping as they do the roll of foam.  The last couple times I have ordered a roll of foam from them the whole 50 foot roll was $99 delivered and the shipping only took a couple of days.
Clay- Shaddox Tactical LLC

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 04:06:53 AM »
With my US shipping address, I'm still dealing directly with Texcel even if they are aware that my company is in France. I believe the pricing is the same that 1947 offers. Nothing against Mr Galpen, I've been in touch with him when he worked for Duro, but no point in dealing with a wholesaler if I meet the factory minimums. The Cordura orders are another thing of course.

BTW, does anyone have a good source for 500D Ranger Green Cordura, IRR treated? I used to get that through Duro, not possible anymore. Brookwood only offers 1000D. There's an Ebay seller that I use but that source may dry up anytime.

Disturbed

• View Profile
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 02:03:18 AM »
Bootcat have you tried MMI

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 12:23:15 PM »
Thanks, I had forgotten about them.  ;)

Hawkeye

• View Profile
    • UW Gear
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 10:46:31 AM »
On the price list they sent me for MultiCam products, the have a price column for "less that 75yds". Ben also told me direct via email they can sell smaller amount no problem. They will also ship through the regular USPS postal system, so for me, that means no ridiculous brokerage fees!

That's good to know, as I got pricing from Ben back when they first got started up. I was under the impression that they (1947) were only doing overseas/international sales and that Brookwood was handling domestic. If that's not accurate and 1947 will sell the smaller quantities then problem solved.

As for Texcel, yeah, that's been my go-to source for a few years now for webbing.

Just to follow up on this, I have confirmed 1947 only sells to international customers, not US based companies, and Brookwood only sells by the full 50 yard roll. They will not cut a roll, period. This is a real pain in the rear for me, as now I'm left with having to buy from a retailer like Rockywoods at 3 times the cost per yard. Its almost like they are intentionally trying to make it difficult for smaller US based companies to do items in Multicam.  Sigh......

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2015, 12:24:16 AM »
I just bought some Multicam-print Omega Mesh thru 1947LLC.com on Nov 19th, which got routed to BrookwoodCos.com.  I only ordered 10yds of the Omega Mesh so there was a $10 cut fee, order was shipped COD for certified funds because I didn't meet their $250 min order for credit card payments.  I got it less than a week after ordering.

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2015, 07:46:39 AM »
At 3x the cost that's about 16y.  I'm sure there is an opportunity to split a roll in the forum/group 

On the price list they sent me for MultiCam products, the have a price column for "less that 75yds". Ben also told me direct via email they can sell smaller amount no problem. They will also ship through the regular USPS postal system, so for me, that means no ridiculous brokerage fees!

That's good to know, as I got pricing from Ben back when they first got started up. I was under the impression that they (1947) were only doing overseas/international sales and that Brookwood was handling domestic. If that's not accurate and 1947 will sell the smaller quantities then problem solved.

As for Texcel, yeah, that's been my go-to source for a few years now for webbing.

Just to follow up on this, I have confirmed 1947 only sells to international customers, not US based companies, and Brookwood only sells by the full 50 yard roll. They will not cut a roll, period. This is a real pain in the rear for me, as now I'm left with having to buy from a retailer like Rockywoods at 3 times the cost per yard. Its almost like they are intentionally trying to make it difficult for smaller US based companies to do items in Multicam.  Sigh......

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 84
  • Likes Given: 45
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2015, 08:49:31 PM »
If you want to get an idea about how yarns and fabrics are made, I'd recommend Cotton University.org.

It's free for students, and might be for others as well. It's a fantastic resource if you want to get a better understanding of all the processes required for the fabrics you use.
Edit: Oh it's mostly videos, so you don't really have to read a bunch of books ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 08:52:52 PM by essal »
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 112
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2016, 08:33:35 PM »
I got a chance to visit with Ben Galpen today at Shot show, I told him about our gear making group (which he was already aware of) I explained to him that there were a lot of people that couldn't meet the 1 roll minimum order quantity from Brookwoods and if he would be willing to sell smaller quantities, he said that he would be willing to work with us and sell 5 yard minumums.
I wasn't aware of the problems that people have had in the past but I will try to make time tomorrow and see him again and ask him to address those issues.

Scott

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 258
  • Likes Given: 253
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 12:20:42 AM »
That's good. I've ordered twice through the company now. The second time was smoother but I still don't like having to deal with two different people from two different companies for one fabric order. Out of the 25-30 companies I purchase things from regularly, this is the only situation where this occurs.