Author Topic: looking for a source to make custom plastic stencils  (Read 2679 times)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
looking for a source to make custom plastic stencils
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:45:07 PM »
I'm looking for a source that makes custom plastic stencils.

I have a few designs that I'm pretty sure won't change for a while, and need to upgrade from my cardboard and foam board patterns.

Any help is appreciated.

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
Re: looking for a source to make custom plastic stencils
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 09:56:26 PM »
Anyone who has a laser cutter and some random plastic (or any other stiff cutable material) laying around... You just need to draw all your patterns in a vector program (such as Adobe Illustrator or Coral Draw).

Most companies in the apparel industry use some sort of cardboard for their prototype patterns. I can't remember the name of it, but it's great as long as you only use your pattern for marking onto fabric and not as a cutting guide. Probably dirt cheap as well. It's a single ply type of cardboard, and not the boxes you ship whatever products in....

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:23:45 PM »
I didn't know what they used in the appeal industry for prototypes, but I do know that when they get the fit for a customer right, they transfer it to something they call "oak cards".  Not sure why they use that name, maybe back in the day they made them from think oak boards.  These patterns are made from the thicker material you mentioned, and kept on file.  I am familiar with the cardboard.  It's thick, non corrugated cardboard that is about double the thickness of poster board.  In the construction industry, we use a similar product for a different purpose.  It's branded under the name "Ram Board" 

http://www.amazon.com/Board-Floor-Protection-Fiberboard-Wide/dp/B005FSMGP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442553469&sr=8-1&keywords=ram+board

I need something a little more durable.

I will be using the template for marking, not cutting.  If have a 3d printer guy I know, but I don't think that is the most economical way of doing this.  If you know a laser cutting guy that is willing to help me out for some cash, I'd be interested.

Thanks for the input,

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:38:29 PM »
Most companies in the apparel industry use some sort of cardboard for their prototype patterns. I can't remember the name of it, but it's great as long as you only use your pattern for marking onto fabric and not as a cutting guide. Probably dirt cheap as well. It's a single ply type of cardboard, and not the boxes you ship whatever products in....
This is what we used to do. This is the product in Australia: Brown pattern card.
It is fantastic so long as you are using it for creating markers. If however you are using it to trace directly onto fabric it gets damaged fairly quick.

So we have done exactly as Essal suggests:
Anyone who has a laser cutter and some random plastic (or any other stiff cutable material) laying around... You just need to draw all your patterns in a vector program (such as Adobe Illustrator or Coral Draw).
We use Polypropylene sheets. This is all laser cut, and super accurate (including drill holes and notches). We have been experimenting with it for a while and are about to go all out on patterns for all our products.

If you don't want to laser cut it @TwoWayTrauma, polypropylene is easily cut by a pair of scissors. You can do it all by hand, but it is very time consuming and not as accurate as laser cut. In addition it is a single point of failure. You lose these patterns and you have lost your design. At least with digitising/laser cutting you always have the digital file, which hopefully is backed up!
BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 10:50:08 PM »
Thanks for the info essal and BOgear.

I have something similar to the brown pattern card stuff you posted the link to.  I use it for larger "one off" stuff, and have made two patterns out of it for making my own jeans, which I still have not completed.

Regarding the single point of failure, I need to do a better job of backing my stuff up digitally.  Currently, I have nothing backed up, so improving that should be easy.

I have two large HDPE sheets that I purchased and intended to use as belt stiffeners.  After a few prototypes, I decided I wasn't really impressed with what they added.  I'm currently using one as a photo backdrop, and the other one is taking up space.  I may scissor cut/drill them soon if I don't find someone who can help me out at a good price.

Thanks again!

Chuck

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »
Talk to WTF, I'm pretty sure he has a laser and some HDPE 8)

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 04:34:44 PM »
http://www.stencilsonline.com/

various thickness plastic sheet available, laser cut to your text.   I need to get one for the M-2015 Bedding Roll I'm making

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:51:43 PM »
I remember a long time ago using one of those Bradley Stencil Machines to make stencils to label our t-shirts for a course.  Digraphs I think they are called...

If I saw one at a good price, I would probably pick it up.  I would probably only use it a few times a year, but I'm a sucker for old machines like that.

http://www.alliedpackaging.com/Service/Equipment/Stencil-Machine-Repair

www.TwoWayTrauma.com

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
My bedding roll stencil,   U.S. in 1.75" letters and M-2015 BEDDING ROLL in 1" letters is to be made in two parts, though, only cost me $6 + $3 postage.

Bradley Stencil Machines: I spent one of my 2 weeks AT pulling maintenance at 550th M.I. Bn, washing trucks, painting new 3-color camo, had to make the tire pressure stencils and a few others for detailing the vehicles.
  I remember I saw an 8in Howitzer dummy projo, I guess was for training at the Transportation unit there on the Sievers-Sandberg Army Reserve Center on Rt 130 in NJ, "Camp Pedricktown" nicknamed, for it had its own small PX/Shopette open 7 days/week.    It sat there for months and months, then I got the brilliant idea I would try to sand blast it repaint it as an HE round for a doorstop or something....only problem was, I couldn't lift the bitch into the back floor of my 70 Chevy Nova.....

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 11:34:47 PM »
ULine sells both the Oil board and stencil machines.
I frequent a laser forum and they said that the oil board can be laser cut, I a may have to get some and try. I'm currently in the process of turning my old paper patterns into digital form.
Scott