Author Topic: Co-branded WTFix  (Read 1512 times)

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
Co-branded WTFix
« on: October 05, 2015, 03:50:32 PM »
A couple weeks ago I received a bunch of WTFix laser cut HANK backers. These things are awesome. I've been trying to find ways to speed up my production and I kept running into the fact that the back PALS that I have been using takes damn near as long to assemble as the whole rest of the pouch. Some of you might say "use malice clips", and you'd be right. By simply straight stitching a bunch of webbing on it would be much faster, however I really hate the idea of relying on a competitor's (Tactical Tailor) product to make my products work. WTF is both not really in the same market as me because he's mostly doing paintball gear, and I can pick up the phone and call him, or write him an email at 12am and get a response in 15 minutes (that actually happened).. Not only that but according to my postal scale the HANK backer is lighter than the webbing in every configuration I've weighed, and because the backers did require a slight rethink of the pouch design and assembly process I was able to shave off even more weight.

Now I've said here before that I work at a gun and tactical gear store, and that they buy some of my gear. Recently they approached me wanting to carry my whole line of products, that meant I had to ramp up my production speed and knock out some really cool kit. In another post I showed off the Rhodesian chest rigs I did for them as part of that order, and here is the first set of pouches.

Ranger Green 500d, WTFix backers, tags from WTF, and SOFtee grommet-less drains.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 03:54:03 PM by die_dunkelheit »

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
Re: Co-branded WTFix
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 04:04:18 PM »
Oh yeah, forgot to add... I used the 1" webbing tag from WTF on the HANK itself, I like that it gives a similar look to the older surplus pouches that always had the tag under the back PALS.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 05:05:19 PM by die_dunkelheit »

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 05:58:03 PM »
What's SOFtee grommet-less drains?
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 82
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 06:19:26 PM »

There's better detail here.

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 01:43:22 AM »

In the post gearmaker linked to you can see the drain in a photo showing the shock cord sticking through it. The shock cord and webbing seen through the hole has nothing to do with the drain. Basically I triple stitch the bottom from each side leaving the center open. In the photos below you can see through the drain from the inside, and again there is some polypro tubing sticking through the drain on the base pouch just to illustrate the hole. I found when dumping a glass full of water into the pouch it drains equally as fast as a similarly sized pouch with a grommet, put this doesn't involve adding a hole in the material or adding weight. I've had grommets get ripped out of gear before and just ruin a piece of kit. This way there's nothing to get ripped out and it doesn't affect the durability of the pouch in any way as we're only talking about 1/4" that isn't stitched down unless the shock cord needs to go through then its 1/2".

There's also this version, which I use on IFAKs, GPs, and other similar pouches. This one starts by making the pouch 1/4" wider at the bottom than the backer, that way when the two are joined there is a little pleat that doesn't get sewn closed. These are sized so that a loose round won't go through them, in the last photo I jammed that round into the hole as hard as I could...

This is on my 6 Banger GP pouch, which will hold 6 mags or whatever else.. Sorry for the bum picture, it's currently mounted on my cummerbund and the other webbing here is my dump pouch which hangs under this one..

This is on my IFAK. I peeled it off for better pics of how the pleat looks.

Loose round jammed into the drain.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 02:15:16 AM by die_dunkelheit »

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 04:54:35 AM »
FWIW, Camelbak used to offer magazine pouches with a V-notch cut where you place your drain. The sides of the notch are folded once on the verso side for a clean finish.
Nice solution with stopping the stitching, I'll give it a try.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 08:58:30 AM »
Diz and UW gear uses a very similar method.

If I were you, I'd pre-sew the bottom line. To me it looks incomplete with the gap in the stitch line. Functionally you probably won't see a difference at all though.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
I like essal's suggestion. Sewing a line of stitching along the bottom would make it look more finished.

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 03:30:18 PM »
I did actually start doing that. If you look at the MultiCam mag pouch in my other post it's done that way.