Author Topic: Accelerator Sling  (Read 7283 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
Accelerator Sling
« on: November 24, 2014, 11:33:35 AM »
This is our ultra light and super simple weapon sling. We developed these initially by request and then the deign morphed into a good product. There are a million slings on the market, so we tried to look at what features we wanted to retain from some of the more popular slings, while keeping the price point fairly low. There are a few slings that use the same style of adjustment, but none that use a Ladderloc. Most others use some type of slide (think triglide) that is constantly gripping the webbing. Occasionally these can bind up and depending on the webbing, can be very stiff to operate. Our sling uses an ITW GTLL-100 and a band of elastic webbing. This gives the user full control of how fast or slow the sling is adjusted. Simply pull the adjustment cord to the rear to lengthen and forward to shorten. The result is a very slick action.

Here's the breakdown:

- 2 Point Quick Adjust - Approximately 10" of adjustment with no free hanging tail of loose ends
- Ergonomic Adjustment Pull Cord - Easy to locate (feels different than grabbing webbing), no loops to snag
- Simple Mounting - We include three Triglides to help attach the sling though many different loops and swivels
- Colour Options - 25 choices of colour or camo patterns, thanks to the mil-spec 1" webbing
- IR Signature Reduction - Both the buckles and webbing are signature reducing
- Quick Release Attachment (Optional, Sold Separately)
- 2.2oz or 60g (As Pictured)

Accelerator Sling http://www.geardynamics.ca/products/accelerator-sling

Shout out to Whisky Two-Four for making our Laser Etched Hypalon Labels

Here's a small blurb on what makes our sling different from the others (from the website):

What makes our sling different from the other quick adjust slings on the market? Aside from the multitude of colour options, mil-spec hardware and quality craftsmanship, the answer is simplicity! The Accelerator Sling uses an entirely different and unique mechanism to achieve it's lightening fast adjustment. Instead of using a three bar slider, where the webbing is woven in and out, we use a tension release system. What that means is that instead of three points of contact between the slider and the webbing, there are only two. The result is less friction and a smoother action which translates into less fighting to adjust your sling.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 09:09:14 AM by Gear Dynamics »

Diz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Accelerator Sling
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 05:39:53 PM »
I like the way you guys operate.  Keeping it simple, light, and clean. 

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 10:45:52 PM »
Thanks Diz. I've got another challenge on the go with the padded version of this sling, but I'm going to do a post in the design section. Could really use some ideas on this one...

Diz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 06:35:49 AM »
GTG.  Have you considered 1 1/4" webbing, or at least tubular nylon in 1"?  Only ask cuz I've found 1" can be a PITA on a long patrol.  Especially since my 7 lb AR now weighs closer to 9.

I ran 1" tubular nylon for years on a "CAR-15" back in the day.  The extra thickness made up for the skinny width.  Kind of it's own padding system built in.  Finding the right hardware might be tough.  Probably go metal.   

On the pad, something low pro and wider to distribute the load, maybe two layers of cordura with a layer of hypolon (or perhaps elastic?) in between.  Nothing uber-padded, just wider "footprint". 

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:20:15 PM »
I've used A-A-55301 1" webbing for years without a problem on my 416, even with an M320 mounted..
I would rather do 2 versions, with one padded one for those who prefer a wider sling, and keep the straight 1" as an option. That is, if your customers want a wider sling.

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2015, 12:42:13 AM »
Kind of depends how the sling is placed on the body. In the French army, it is most often carried on the neck, not under the weak arm, therefore padding is absolutely required, but other organisations seem to be more sensible about that.
I found 1.5" to be a confortable width for my unpadded slings.

Shaddox Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 01:48:31 PM »
That's why I switched to 1.5 inch webbing on my slings.  Originally my slings were 1" wide and they seemed fine to me, but after a few years of customers complaining about the 1" biting into their necks especially on long patrols I switched to 1.5".  Hardware is still readily available for most things, at least better than 1.25".  1.5" webbing distributes most weapon loads enough that additional padding isn't necessary.  I also like that there aren't nearly as many 1.5" wide slings on the market as 1.25" so in a competitive market with everybody making slings it gives the consumer a little more to choose from.
Clay- Shaddox Tactical LLC

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 02:03:44 PM »
My goal with this sling was not to make the "perfect" sling for every user group, but to offer something that is light weight, has some function and is available in every colour. Most importantly I wanted something that didn't cost a lot and could be sold for a reasonable price so dudes can afford them.

From a soldiers point of view, I fully agree with a wider sling on heavier weapon systems, but for a carbine (which most use) and with body armour (which is more common now), 1" slings are perfectly fine. I have them on all of my personal rifles and I use them at work on my service rifle, never had an issue.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 09:10:47 AM »
Here's some new colours! MultiCam Black, Arid, Tropic and the original.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 301
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2015, 09:30:39 AM »
Gorgeous as usual!

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2015, 09:36:01 AM »
I will be honest, I kind of wish I thought of that ladderlock and loop system first.  Good on you for making something unique and innovative!
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 06:31:50 PM »
Just out of curiosity, have you heard anything from Blue Force Gear?
There was some rumble around the web about them suing/C&Ding various companies who also did adjustable slings, including the Viking Tactics (whos sling is nothing like their VACS slings), Magpul and ATS.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 12:44:19 PM »
In my opinion, some of BFG's claims against other companies could be considered legitimate, others...not so much. They do not own the idea of a collapsing loop for length adjustment, as much as they probably want to. I think they forget that the purpose of patenting a design is first and foremost, to share the technical aspects within the industry. This is why patents are publicly accessible. If another manufacturer improves on your idea, say by adding another feature or eliminating something that was needless, it's fair game.

Besides, they don't hold a patent in Canada for their sling designs and can't enforce there U.S. patent here. Magpul, HSGI, BOTach, Ares Armour, Savvy Sniper etc etc all have slings that use similar methods of adjustment.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2015, 01:28:41 AM »
Yeah unless someone actually straight up copied their sling (and hardware) I doubt that they'll stand a chance.
But I can't agree on the 2nd part, a patent is more of a "hey this is mine, stay the fuck out" thing rather than a way to share with your competitors (even though you do by getting the patent). But design patents aren't even worth the paper they are printed on cause it's so easy to go around them, I think the general sense is that you need to change a design 10% (how you measure that is beyond me) for it to become a "new" product.

Again, just curious if they had actually tried something.. As far as I read your description of your sling you are pretty open about taking inspiration from slings that work, which as you say is all fair game.

mogensbeck

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 01:56:52 AM »
BFG is properly busy with the lawsuit they got from Firstspear. It sound more and more like Apple vs Samsung.