Author Topic: WTB Multicam tropic, alpine, black webbing/ribbon. 35oz Hypalon etc  (Read 4985 times)

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
Re: WTB Multicam tropic, alpine, black webbing/ribbon. 35oz Hypalon etc
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2015, 10:29:07 PM »
I trolled their website for a bit and cannot for the life of me find how to buy it, got a link?

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 08:04:06 AM »
$80 per yard seems a little expensive.  I would have a hard time justifying spending more per square foot on a synthetic fabric than some premium full grain leathers cost.

Is the stuff really that good?
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 13
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 08:15:54 AM »
The price is not for squarefoot but for a liniar yard.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 09:50:39 AM »
Is the stuff really that good?
If you don't have a use for it, then no...
I wouldn't buy it without access to a lasercutter that you know how to use.
I wouldn't use Hypalon/HANK as bottom reinforcement in my bags, there are cheaper options.

It does a few things that Cordura can't, but it's not a magic fabric in any way.

For most people, I'd contract my Hypalon/Hank needs out to someone who can deliver a finished product, such as WTF.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 05:36:46 PM »
$80 per yard seems a little expensive.  I would have a hard time justifying spending more per square foot on a synthetic fabric than some premium full grain leathers cost. .......

Price for anything is based upon supply/demand, needs, and features.

Sure full grain leather might come in cheaper on paper, but can it do what hypalon/hank/et.al can do? Laser cuttable, tear resistant, highly abrasion resistant, possible to put holes/slots/cuts in it without fear of continual tearing, chemical resistant, water proof/impermeable to water. Think about what you need for features in your gear before worrying about price. Don't design around a material, design around a need, and then find the most suitable material and supplier.

If Hank were $80/linear meter, and Hypalon were $45/linear meter, and knowing both fabrics do the same thing, then sure I would be worried about price.

For what it is worth I have worked with slitted Hypalon in the past, and for Italian produced gear it ran to about $45/m2 (plus gst). For a full linear meter it cost me about $75, and this was around 5 years ago.
BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 09:26:41 PM »
Regarding previous comments, I understand the price is per linear yard (which I am assuming is 60" wide) for a total of 15 square feet per linear yard.  That is must over $5 a share foot, which is about what one would pay per square foot for a good bend of full grain leather.  I was using it as a comparison to the only other fabric or textile I know to be that expensive, maybe except some furs or some very specialized fabric.

I wasn't comparing the properties of the materials, and I understand the applications don't really overlap.  However, to answer questions:  Is it laser cuttable?  Yes.  Tear resistant?  yes.  Highly abrasion resistant?  Yes.  possible to put holes/slots/cuts without fear of continual tearing?  Yes.  Waterproof?  No, but depending on the finish, it's highly water resistant.

My point is that it seems expensive for what it is, especially considering that I got some hypalon for $15ish a yard a couple of weeks ago.

Not complaining, and I may use this in the future after the sticker shock wears off.
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 11:46:51 PM »
My point is that it seems expensive for what it is, especially considering that I got some hypalon for $15ish a yard a couple of weeks ago.
Second hand stuff...

If I remember correctly and got my facts straight, OC Mike bought out the entire BAE lot of things they had laying around, and that kind of flooded the market with cheap Hypalon in tactical colors. Prior to that, I think the price was somewhere around $60/yard at Seattlefabrics or a shop similar to that. Might also be just "dying" stocks of Hypalon that have been available, and now people got to move on to HANK fabric which is priced differently (even though Trelleborg did manufacture Hypalon as well).

As for the math of it, it will always been an expensive fabric. While $80/yard sounds retarded, I'm sure it's $20-30 when you buy 5000 yards of it which makes it about the same price as 3 layer Goretex...
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

STequip

• View Profile
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2015, 01:46:03 PM »
FYI, the 80 $ / linear yard was for FIVE yards, mogensbeck posted 54 $ / linear yard for full rolls (50 yrds) and more.

For me, even with 80 $, shipping from the US AND outsourced cutting it is profitable, as it saves sewing hours. Man hours are expensive here in Switzerland, 40+ $ an hour...

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2015, 03:04:44 AM »
Bump. I'd also like to add AOR2 webbing to the list of needed items. That stuff is hard to track down. I need it a bit more than some of the other webbings listed in the first post. But I could use some 1 inch and 3/4th inch. 1.5in is a stretch but if that is out there I'd be up for some of that too. I need the 1 and 3/4th inch stuff more though. Let me know if you know a guy that knows a guy :)