Author Topic: Modifying Crye JPC  (Read 2691 times)

thewolf

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 29
Modifying Crye JPC
« on: November 08, 2015, 11:00:10 AM »
I have a JPC that I'd like to modify to have a removable front flap so that I can run different placards, chest rigs, or AVS flaps. I have to means and material to do this but wanted to see what you have to say before I jump into the project.

For reference, I currently use vertial QASM buckles to attach my chest rigs. The removal of the flap reduces bulk and easy change between platforms etc...

1. Looking at the JPC construction, it is single stitched around the inside of the plate bag and then cover stitched instead of binding on the raw edges. At the admin pouch, it becomes two rows of stitching along with the cover stitch until you reach the shoulder straps.

2. The existing cummerbund flap is sewn to the admin pouch, which is then sewn to the font of the plate bag.

I could remove the front cummerbund flap by ripping the seam on the admin pouch. That is easy enough. Then, I'd need to rip the admin pouch seam along the sides about 1.5 inches vertically and then the front of the admin pouch along the plate bag. This would let me modify the interior velcro by adding webbing and stitching vertically to create molle loops which would allow me to attach AVS style placards.

I would then modify the old cummerbund flap with velcro strips in order to reattach as needed.

After everything is removed and modified, I would then go back and bind the inside raw edges where I have to rip the seams.

Any suggestions? Ideas?

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 107
  • Likes Given: 66
Re: Modifying Crye JPC
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 09:06:41 PM »
Sounds like a good project, post some before and after pictures.
Scott

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2015, 07:35:42 PM »
I'm pretty sure that the inside is a serged seam (ASTM 500 class) and not a coverstitch (400 and/or 600). Nitpicking, but whatever.

I'm sure that the designers and techs at Crye Precision used a 500 class stitch and not a simple lockstitch (300 class) for a good reason. I'd guess that reason is the stretchy properties of the back fabric.. This might be a problem, but I haven't looked inside of a JPC in quite a while so I'm not fully sure about the internal construction. If you have access to a zigzag stitch then those do stretch and can be used.
I don't see the need to bind the inside of the JPC. Never bound the inside of any PC, top stitched or not.

The amount of work you have to do to modify the JPC could be spent on simply making a new front that fits your needs...
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 09:40:51 PM »
That's what I was going to suggest. it might be easier to just build a whole new slick front, and use the original as a template.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 89
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:27:40 AM »
Indeed the inside seams are serged, the main reason is to make it lighter by replacing binding. Every alpha fabric pieces are sewn to cordura or mesh with lockstitch first, so there is no part stretching at the seams. Except on the bottom opening, where alpha fabric is folding over itself.

edit: some pics to illustrate
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:51:05 AM by Fouinard »

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:07:06 AM »
Ahhh....that makes sense. I wasn't sure why it was both straight and serged. That may cause an issue when I put it back together. I assumed the straight stitch was done first which is why I thought it'd be an easy process.

I also didn't want to make an entire plate bag, but I guess that option is on the table as well. I'll keep running ideas through the gauntlet and keep you guys posted.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 42
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 10:14:00 AM »
Fouinard, is the Alpha fabric a knit? If so it makes completely sense that it's serged instead of bound as most knits have the wonderful property of being able to unravel itself..

New platebag will be a lot faster than you think.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

flimmuur

• View Profile
  • Liked: 70
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 12:54:08 PM »
I've used Alpha before (for shoulder pad covers) and it's not a knit.
Flimmuur Tactical (Cambridge, UK)
https://www.facebook.com/ftactical/

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 238
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 01:23:11 PM »
@thewolf, you don't need to use an overlock stitch to refinish the inside. Crye did this to save weight. You don't really even need to use binding, although it will help protect the fabric from fraying. I'm not sure how well that stretchy Alpha fabric stays together with just a lockstitch.

If you really want to take it apart, unstitch the components that you need to work with, do your modifications and then sew it back up with a regular lockstitch. You could add binding to the inside to prevent fraying, if you are concerned and you're unable to replicate the overlock.

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 02:03:26 PM »
Wolf,
   I build my own Jungle Plate Carriers with various mods/alterations for local endusers, stuff like the interchangeable Roo pouches, built in hydro, 6-Pack 6x M4 Mag front pouches.  The 6-Pack is over 6lbs weight hanging onto the admin pocket exterior, so I beef it up with hypalon inside the Roo pocket top edge and sewing thru the admin pocket with a hypalon back inside that acts like a fender washer, the weight/stress transfer is from hypalon to hypalon instead of stressing the 500d itself. Shoot me an IM or email if you would like help re-serging the side seams after you do the detach pouch alteration.

Yes, unfortunately you have to dissect much of the side seams just so you can get around the intended stitchlines with the sewing machine.  The Roo flap is sewn to the admin pocket exterior layer, and to space an interchangeable Roo pouch system like JPC2.0, Eagle SOFBAV Aero, etc, the top Velcro hanger row has to be sewn onto the lower admin pocket.
   If you don't mind losing the lowest 1" of the admin pocket stowage space, you can gently remove the Roo pocket, then lay the two horizontal Velcro PALS rows by bartacking the top row overtop the admin pocket thru the plate bag, by using the plate access opening.

Edit: Its amazing Crye didn't bother serging the truncated corners for the shoulder strap mounting where most of the stress is on the plate carrier system.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 02:21:06 PM by Stoner63A »

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »
I personally have experience modifying a JPC to have an NJPC cummerbund flap. The serged stitching seems intimidating and like it would be hard work to remove but I was able to make quick work of it with my seam stripper. When I did the mod, I believe I only opened the bag far enough to meet the opening of the admin pocket. This way I could strip the bartacks and then peel up the admin pocket with the cummerbund flap attached. I don't believe I even removed the bottom stitch on the admin pocket to do my mod. I did remove the cummerbund flap from the admin pouch, modified it with the njpc flaps and Velcro, and then sewed it back onto the admin pocket while it was still attached to the carrier. It came out beautifully and the customer was very happy. When I closed up the plate bag, I re-did the bartacks at the top of the admin pouch first. And then I closed the whole bag up with a straight stitch. Since I did not have a serger or overlock machine available, I simply triple stitched the seam closed. The raw edges of the material may have been exposed but it still handled just fine as it was. So I wouldn't sweat too much about the overlock stitch on the edges. As far as I know, that NJPC is still handling beatings fine.

For what you are wanting to do, removing that flap will be simple. As will adding the Velcro pals webbing. Personally, I would make an AVS style K-pouch so that it is already set-up to accept the AVS flaps. And then you can go from there to make your own panels. As stoner said, you may need to put the top row of Velcro pals on the lower end of the admin pocket. But you should still have no issue adding this without removing the entire admin pouch from the bag as long as the sides are opened up.

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 02:55:41 PM »
Alright, I've started the project. I'll post pics when I have a computer.

So far I've removed the flap, ripped the seams up to the admin pouch, and removed the original Velcro strip which opened the bottom of the admin pouch.

Looks like an easier project than I anticipated. I'm really excited!

Stay tuned!

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2016, 03:58:46 PM »
One question before I start sewing - Does anyone have the measurements of the MOLLE spacing on the AVS or JPC 2.0? I want to make sure the crye flaps fit right. It looks like alternating 1.5" and 1" spacing from the pictures online.

Thanks

thewolf

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 07:29:56 PM »
Finally got around to finishing this project. I couldn't wait to post a picture so here it is, late night lighting and a mess of a table.

Basically, I cut the front flap off, ripped the sides open, stitched a row of loop/webbing the same as an AVS, closed it up, affixed some webbing and hook/loop for the new attachment of the flap, and BAM! My old JPC will now work with all the new Crye flaps.