Author Topic: Had anyone ever deal with TN Webbing?  (Read 3090 times)

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 33
  • Likes Given: 0
Had anyone ever deal with TN Webbing?
« on: November 30, 2015, 11:04:37 AM »
http://www.tnwebbing.com/

I came across this company by chance while I was looking for a company that distribute Norricot brand webbing or at least something close to it. I requested some samples last week and they are extremely close to Norricot in terms of feel and quality, the pricing they got are also pretty good (.15 per yards for the 1 inch compared to .44 per yard at GSI and .26 per yard at Texcel). However as far as I can tell they are simply distributor who brought overstock/surplus from other manufacturer and then source it to the masses for cheap.

So ya I was wondering if anyone had order webbing from them before and would you recommend it? My only concern is that they do not weave their own webbing so the color consistency and availability will varied from stock to stock

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Had anyone ever deal with TN Webbing?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
They do deal in contract overruns and seconds.

Colors can be slightly off, stains, splices...  all priced appropriately  ;)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:30:32 PM »
They are a legit company.
Depending on how much material you go through in a year, the variance in color and constinancy may be a problem.
You could either buy large lots at a time or stick with a solid supplier (mill).
I chose the latter and try to use Texcel for all narrow goods and Brookwoods for rolled goods, with PK supply for buckles and misc stuff, it's nice to send out a consistent product from year to year, although it may cost a few dollars more.
Scott

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
They are a legit company.
Depending on how much material you go through in a year, the variance in color and constinancy may be a problem.
You could either buy large lots at a time or stick with a solid supplier (mill).
I chose the latter and try to use Texcel for all narrow goods and Brookwoods for rolled goods, with PK supply for buckles and misc stuff, it's nice to send out a consistent product from year to year, although it may cost a few dollars more.
Scott

Agreed on all counts.  They're my preferred sources.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 01:13:57 PM »
Ha ha I figured as much, thanks guys. Ya you always get what you pay for I guess.

My only reason for trying to move away from Texcel is because their webbing just feels too "soft" and "not bonded" to me despite being milspec compliant. I had tons of Eagle and even Flyye gear that uses non-texcel webbing and the difference are like day and night, but that's probably just me.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 02:38:35 PM »
Texcel sells 55301 Type 3, maybe you are used to 55301 Type 3 Alternate, which looks stiffer :

on top T3A, on the bottom T3

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 04:00:11 PM »
Hmm now that you mention it, the ones they weave does not have TIIIA designation on it.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 12:17:07 AM »
I think the webbing you are talking about is not solution dyed. I might be wrong, but I've had webbing where the inner yarn clearly isn't solution dyed (it's white or a lot lighter shade of whatever).

That stiff stuff sucks IMO. It's harder to weave for the user, it's useless for straps and slings and it doesn't sew as nicely as T3 from Texcel.
Bite the good tasting apple and spend $25-30 a roll instead of a shitty one for $15..

Stoner63A

• View Profile
  • Liked: 35
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 12:20:33 AM »
That bottom one is the new spec solution-dyed Invista 3220 Near IR compliant AA-55301, something about particles infused with the dye give it that dull, almost cotton canvas webbing finish, with no shine to reflect light, which can be seen under NVDs.

I've bought quite a bit from TNWebbing.com, Danny and Susan there have taken good care of me despite being small qty customer.   Ive got everything from Ranger Green to AOR2 AA-55301 and Binding, Type VII para webbing for rigger belts, etc.    Stock varies over time as they buyout mill overruns.   

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2015, 12:38:45 AM »
That's what solution dye is, the color pigment is melted together with the nylon bits (what's the real word I'm looking for?) so that when the yarn is drawn (made that is), it's a solid colored yarn instead of the dye added after the yarn (or webbing) is made. As a bonus, solution dye requires no water in the process of adding color, and if you're a part of the textile industry then you should care about the water consumption and contamination IMO.

Milspec (US) webbing currently asks for the 99(,9?)% NIR webbing if my head is correctly attached today.

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2015, 01:12:42 PM »
Hmm so that explains the soft texture, but if it works for the military it works for everybody. As for the earlier replies, the price isn't the issue, 26 cents per yard for the one inch isn't too bad. For a 100 yards roll that translate into $26, and 100 yards for me last a while.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 01:14:16 PM by WBTactical »