Author Topic: Source for Plastic Sheet and Mesh  (Read 1870 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 268
Source for Plastic Sheet and Mesh
« on: December 01, 2015, 07:03:51 PM »
I'm looking for two things:

1. Can anyone ID the plastic strip (top) in the picture? It's thin, maybe .035", and very flexible. It's much sturdier than LDPE of the same thickness, but not as rigid as HDPE. It has a slight texture to it and does not mind being repeatedly bent. This piece was taken out of a CP Gear Riggers Belt. When I contacted them directly, they said it was HDPE, but it's nothing like what I have here.

2. Looking for a source of the plastic mesh (bottom) in the picture. Would settle for something similar. This particular mesh was in the inventory sold off by Mustang Survival. Think life jackets and such. It's very light and thin, but stable, and does not distort like other mesh.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
Re: Source for Plastic Sheet and Mesh
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 12:44:56 AM »
The black plastic looks like HDPE, I got a sheet of this from a place that transfers product from pallets to shipping containers. They called them "slip sheets", the forklift has an attachment that grabs the sheet while a pusher arm pushes the product off of the pallet. My source no longer uses that style as they went to a thinner sheet, so I would be interested if you find a reasonable source.
The mesh looks like something Seattle Fabric calls Leno Mesh, and they sell it in cut yards or strips.
Scott

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 12:47:04 AM »
xxPE is a very, very general term for a huge group of plastics based on their density level... LDPE, MDPE and HDPE all have different densities. So what this means is that HDPE isn't 1 product, but it's everything that fits into the density of 0.93 to 0.97 g/cm3.

My only tip would be to A) Read up on the Wikipedia of xxPE and B) Decide what properties you want the plastic to have and then C) Contact a serious plastic supplier to ask for samples.

Can't help you with the mesh. Ask the serious plastic supplier from C) to send you a plastic mesh sample with the properties you described. I do think that Mustang source a lot of their stuff in North America if that's any help...

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 268
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
@essal, totally understand about the HDPE. I've read the wiki page. I get my plastics from Laird Plastics which is a fairly large company (http://www.lairdplastics.com) so I'm hoping they'll know what I'm talking about.

Scott, I'll post results when I find them. Hopefully it won't be too hard. I've asked CP Gear for their source, we'll see if they feel like sharing.

Monkeys

• MMT
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2016, 05:10:48 PM »
It looks a lot like the .038 HDPE I get from a local supplier. The stuff I get is the recycled plastic (black) and can be bent and worked without breaking pretty well. I use this stuff on my molle straps

Der_Stuffz

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2016, 07:55:16 PM »
Thin PET is better to sew.