Author Topic: Patrolling Rig V2  (Read 3088 times)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 259
  • Likes Given: 254
Patrolling Rig V2
« on: December 22, 2015, 04:48:05 PM »
This is the latest version of our Patrolling Rig. The overall layout is roughly the same as the previous version, but there are some notable differences that I wanted to show.

The harness has had a major overhaul. It went right back to the drawing board in order to figure out the optimal size and shape that would allow proper contouring of the suspension straps over the body. The shoulder pads are 3" wide and smoothly integrate with the back panel. The back panel has remained narrow (7" wide) and drops down from the front straps between the shoulder blades, allowing for maximum mobility. The front and rear adjustment straps have been shifted slightly to allow an even adjustment scheme, meaning you can apply the same adjustment length to all four points without worry of the harness canting forward or backward. Obviously the other major change is the use of binding tape which allows for a stonger assembly method. Inside, it is still 1/8" closed cell foam, laminated to the inside layer of Cordura (this may change to 420D pack cloth). On top of the foam, still inside, is a reinforcing plastic mesh that is only used in certain areas.

The main panels have remained relatively unchanged except that the fixed harness attachment point buckles are all ITW Waterbury steel. These are lower profile and much stronger than the acetal ones, not that that has ever been an issue with the 1.5" Triglide. The rear adjustment strap has been shifted back to the bottom, so the rig can be worn higher and the strap will ride in the lower back (or just below your rear plate). The previous version had the strap in the centre, in an effort to balance the support, but with the addition of the panel reenforcing, it was no longer required.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 85
  • Likes Given: 45
Re: Patrolling Rig V2
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 12:00:30 AM »
Clean work as always.

I would love to see it properly placed on a body, I'm not sure where you have designed it to be worn as it could be more of a traditional H-Harness/beltkit or more of a chestrig. I assume it can work as both as long as the straps are long enough.

As for the plastic triglides, I think they could be eliminated by threading the loose tail into the metal hardware (assuming that there is room). ATS (if I remember correctly) does a "reversed" threading which leaves the tail on the inside of the harness, which gives it a cleaner look IMO.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2015, 10:31:26 AM »
Every time I've got my rig at work, with my various pouches, I don't remember to snap a pic. There is some freedom to wear the rig at various heights, but it's really designed to be worn just above the belt line. This way the user can raise their legs to climb or run or sit in a vehicle without interference.

The plastic Triglides are there to stop any possible strap slippage. I'll agree they are redundant and I run mine without them, but include them with these latest rigs. I thought about trying to route the straps along the inside, and even tested it that way initially, but they proved uncomfortable against the body over long periods of use. Many users will trim straps, or tape them with gun tape. I know ATS routes the straps into special little channels that run inside their panel but due to the nature of how my panels are constructed, this would be difficult to replicate and ultimately compromise the strength of the attachment points.

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 10:27:40 AM »
Hey gear dynamics
I love your work
I really admire how you get such clean results and such definition using the turnout method
Are those rigs 1000d
Any chance you could give me some pointers??

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 06:52:10 PM »
Sure. The key to my method is laminating one side of the foam to the fabric first. After that's done you can simply sew around the outside of the foam leaving gaps for the straps, hardware attachment points and a place to flip right side out. Next, you need to trim excess corner fabric so the points will turn out nicely. Then you turn it right side out and push out the corners. The laminated foam will help the panel take its shape. Then it's just a matter of sewing the perimeter and attachment points, reinforcing and sewing the PALS.

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2016, 02:53:08 AM »
Thankyou very much :)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2016, 10:38:21 AM »
Oh, and the Cadpat one pictured is 1000D. Most others are 500D.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2016, 10:42:15 AM »
Below is an updated harness design. The angles have been changed, the straps no longer run through the complete harness, and it's slightly wider and shorter. This was the optimal design for with and without armour.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2016, 05:24:23 PM »
Wearing my personal rig for PT. Works very well for adding some weight to your workouts.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 11:19:04 AM »
Here's that latest version of the the rig. It's really a V2.5, as the harness was totally reworked. What do you think?

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 32
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2017, 05:57:44 PM »
Super clean work as always

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:47:52 AM »
Good looking.
IMHO the excess webbing would hang down instead of up if you placed the triglides on the harness instead of the pannel.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 03:01:17 PM »
Yeah, I get that but the idea is to keep the harness "buckle free" so it doesn't interfere with packs and rucks.