Author Topic: Street Hiker, the big boy - our first big backpack  (Read 2231 times)

ViktorHUN

Street Hiker, the big boy - our first big backpack
« on: December 25, 2015, 10:17:53 AM »
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everyone!

BOGear Dave encouraged me to show our (LINE - Little Needle - my wife and me) first bigger size backpack to you guys.

Here is the entire gallery.

This is a very much hybrid backpack in terms of the components we used to build it.

• The externals are: 600Dx300D PTP (polyester with PVC backing) and 100% cotton, printed canvas from IKEA. For the canvas we figured out a beeswax + paraffin + linseed oil waterproofing method.
  • The internal lining is a funny story also: one or two british DPM overtrousers were destroyed to get the gore-tex fabric! :D
  • The webbing is a nylon webbing from this Aliexpress seller.
  • The zipper is commercial grade only, but worked fine for this project.
  • We used AMANDA GABOR, bonded nylon thread from this manufacturer.
  • Machinery: 30 years old Textima Altin needle transport, industrial, lockstitch & 50 years old (?) PFAFF 360 household for the zig-zag

Of course we would like to leave behind fabrics like PTP and start using Cordura, but so far we were not brave enough to spend a huge amount on money purchasing it from abroad (most likely from the US). Also we always argue about the color(s) to be purchased. :D

Looking forward for your feedback!

Thank you,
Zsuzsa and Viktor

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
Re: Street Hiker, the big boy - our first big backpack
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2015, 10:28:02 PM »
I like this, it has a fun look to it.  I think the zipper on the side of it is a good improvement to the "roll top" design.  It looks like it has a ton of good features and components in it.  I bet it took a while to design and sew it all together.

Thanks for sharing!

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2015, 08:48:16 AM »
I like the looks of it.

As a note, Goretex (membrane) fabric on packs, especially on the inside of packs, serve absolutely no purpose compared to other completely non-breathable fabrics waterproof fabrics. If that fabric has a DWR coating, and you have the face facing inwards in the pack, you'll actually keep water in the pack rather than forcing it out (which requires pressure, and packs doesn't have any). I'd rather use a lightweight nylon if you need an interior fabric.

BOgear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • BOgear Website
  • Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 05:15:43 PM »
Seriously love it! Love the way you have used the IKEA printed fabric in panels, and mixed together complementary webbing colours. Looks damn fine! Military-esque look in a civilian pack. Got my tick of approval. :)
BOgear: http://www.bogear.com.au   |   Blog: http://www.bogear.com.au/blog   |   Instagram/Facebook/Twitter: @bogear

ViktorHUN

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2015, 12:34:30 PM »
Thank you very much for the likes and constructive feedback!

Wish you all the best for 2016!