Author Topic: Messenger Bag  (Read 5122 times)

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
Messenger Bag
« on: January 18, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
I had to make a bag and pouches for my trip to Shot show.
I only have 3" Velcro loop in Coyote brown, so I chose to place a slight gap in the middle of the bag, I wont do that again, as it seems like most pouches top out in that area.
I also am not happy where I placed my carry handle on the back, I will place it higher on the flap next time.
I was pretty happy with the carry strap pad, I placed "slip not" material under the strap to keep it from sliding up and down so easily. The last strap pad I built kept migrating down the strap and it drove me crazy.
I was also pretty happy that I learned how to make elastic pouch openings. I had some 3/8" flat elastic from a job last Summer and I found if I sew it into a tunnel I can pull the desired tension on it and anchor it down as I sew the edge of the pouch, don't laugh, remember I'm a welder/fabricator by trade. 
I will be carrying this every day for a week, so I will keep an eyes open for any other modifications.

Enjoy, Scott

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 10:52:11 PM by SunriseTacticalGear »

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
Re: Messenger Bag
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:04:24 PM »
Another year has gone by and I wanted to build a new messenger bag to carry at Shot Show. There were a few changes that I wanted to make, including increasing the bag width by one inch as well as making the I pad pocket larger. I also redesigned the padded carry strap similar to a sling, as I hated having the movable pad migrate around when I didn't want it to. I also got a chance to sew my logo tag (Whiskey Two Four) on the outside.
I chose 1,000d Ranger Green solution dyed with Ballistic nylon for the outer shell, and 1,000d tan 499 interior with Multicam edge binging. Since this is for personal use I chose to scramble the colors a little, I'm not as daring as BO gear yet, but I'm working on it.
I also took the time to draw it into CAD, because I had some time and I need the practice, having used the program for only about 20 projects, it is getting easier and easier all the time.

Martial Concepts

• Are we there yet?
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:25:51 PM »
Right on Scott! Looks awesome.  I like the thought and 'gravity' orientation that you used.  A lot of bags on the market have great pocket space but when you open the flap, everything in them falls out, so when you actually unzip the flap to get to an inner area, nothing is where it was.
If you don't try you can't fail.  If you don't fail you can't learn.  If you can't learn then Darwin is calling you.

Instagram: martial_concepts
http://martialconcepts.org (restricted at this time)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:50:24 PM »
I like it! Well done.

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 12:42:12 AM »
Excellent work!  I have actually been working on my messenger bag design.  I like the zipper on the outside of the flap.  That is a great idea. 

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

Rainman01

• Tactical Gear Creations
    • View Profile
    • Tactical Gear Creations
  • Liked: 9
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 02:28:06 AM »
Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bravodelta

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 06:47:40 PM »
these look great!

draaven

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 07:40:17 PM »
Great stuff as usual!

jowomy

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2016, 03:17:41 AM »
Amazing bag !!  ;)

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2016, 11:32:00 PM »
I just noticed that you are putting the bound edge on the inside of your bag.  I have been putting mine on the outside.  Do you notice any advantage to doing it one way over the other?

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 08:49:31 AM »
Thanks to everyone for your comments, this is one of the few items that I make for myself and it has been one per year, adding updates from what I have learned from the previous bag. It is a very simple design, which could also be used for smaller pouches or mag pouch.

I just noticed that you are putting the bound edge on the inside of your bag.  I have been putting mine on the outside.  Do you notice any advantage to doing it one way over the other?

Chuck
I put the bound seam to the inside for a cleaner look, and with this large of a bag it can be flipped, which would be very difficult if not impossible with a small mag pouch.
Scott