Author Topic: Packaging critiques  (Read 1148 times)

hybriddefensive

• View Profile
    • Hybrid Defensive Strategies, LLC
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
Packaging critiques
« on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:40 PM »
Ok guys, here's the packaging that my slings will be going out in.  Critiques appreciated, I only did a run of 50 of the inserts through VistaPrint, so it's an easy change if need be.  Bags are 5x8 4mil from ULine.

Thanks!

Joel
Photo Jan 22, 13 55 46 by X Echo 1, on Flickr

Photo Jan 22, 13 56 17 by X Echo 1, on Flickr
Non Nobis Solum

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 253
  • Likes Given: 51
Re: Packaging critiques
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 01:30:51 PM »
It looks good.  Did you use a hang hole bag?

hybriddefensive

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 01:54:08 PM »
It is a hang hole bag, but the hang hole seems really small.  I haven't had a chance to try it out on a display rack though.
Non Nobis Solum

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 247
  • Likes Given: 242
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 04:26:02 PM »
It looks pretty good. I have some points though.

- Front looks good. I like your logo.
- I'd mess with the font sizing and formatting, so you end with centred bullet points. To me they look offset. I'd also keep the bullet info much shorter. Try for one line.
- On the bottomline "The MK1 is cut and sewn in Virginia of U.S.-made components", I'd change "cut and sewn" to hand made and "of" to with. I'd also re-size so it fits.
- I'd reduce the size of the font in the QR code box so it fits one line
- Do you have a website to list?
- What about using one more shade of colour on there, maybe as rectangular fields behind where the writing is placed. Might make things pop a little more.
- Is this a rifle only sling? if not and it can be used on an SMG or other, I'd use a generic term like weapon to describe what you are attaching it to.

Without seeing the sling, I can't judge how I would perceive all the info you have written. It seems that some things are repeated, "no additional hardware" for example. Maybe look at removing and tweaking so the info is as concise as possible.

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 05:53:36 PM »

- I'd mess with the font sizing and formatting, so you end with centred bullet points. To me they look offset. I'd also keep the bullet info much shorter. Try for one line.
- On the bottomline "The MK1 is cut and sewn in Virginia of U.S.-made components", I'd change "cut and sewn" to hand made and "of" to with. I'd also re-size so it fits.
- What about using one more shade of colour on there, maybe as rectangular fields behind where the writing is placed. Might make things pop a little more.
- Is this a rifle only sling? if not and it can be used on an SMG or other, I'd use a generic term like weapon to describe what you are attaching it to.

Without seeing the sling, I can't judge how I would perceive all the info you have written. It seems that some things are repeated, "no additional hardware" for example. Maybe look at removing and tweaking so the info is as concise as possible.

All of ^that^, but I have a few things to add.
Dude your logo is awesome.
-When you add your domain name to the card do so directly below "Hybrid Defensive Strategies, LLC" on the front, sized to fit the maximum width of the two lines above it.
-If you MUST have a bullet point that is more than one line make it the last one.

The card seems to fit the bag pretty close, which is good, but how well does the sling fit in there with it? How does it look once fully packaged?

Don't under estimate the importance of putting your domain name on the card. If these slings are destined for a retail store the domain will drive more hits to your site. Are you selling these all yourself? That's fine, but what about if it gets gifted? And don't expect people to remember your domain just because they've bought from you online, make sure it is visible somewhere on every product and every product document. My flat tags for example for now are three lines; name, made in America, and domain name, in the future they'll be four lines; name, product name, made in America, and domain name.

hybriddefensive

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:43:45 AM »

All of ^that^, but I have a few things to add.
Dude your logo is awesome.
-When you add your domain name to the card do so directly below "Hybrid Defensive Strategies, LLC" on the front, sized to fit the maximum width of the two lines above it.
-If you MUST have a bullet point that is more than one line make it the last one.

The card seems to fit the bag pretty close, which is good, but how well does the sling fit in there with it? How does it look once fully packaged?

Don't under estimate the importance of putting your domain name on the card. If these slings are destined for a retail store the domain will drive more hits to your site. Are you selling these all yourself? That's fine, but what about if it gets gifted? And don't expect people to remember your domain just because they've bought from you online, make sure it is visible somewhere on every product and every product document. My flat tags for example for now are three lines; name, made in America, and domain name, in the future they'll be four lines; name, product name, made in America, and domain name.

All good points.  Looking back, I definitely did repeat myself between the paragraphs and the bullets.  Changing up the bullets should be fairly straightforward, as I generated it in Publisher, then uploaded to VistaPrint.  My sling tags have the domain name already as you suggested, but I can definitely add the domain to the front of the packaging as well.  As for the fit, I'll know Wednesday when I get the first batch of 25 from the sewer...  I tested it without the card, and it worked fine, but I haven't checked with both.  Living and learning!

Photo Jan 17, 18 02 15 by X Echo 1, on Flickr
Non Nobis Solum

hybriddefensive

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 07:38:19 PM »
So here's the packaging with sling inserted.  It's definitely a little tight, so I may need to either shrink the insert or grow the bag for the next run.

Joel

Photo Jan 27, 21 25 00 by X Echo 1, on Flickr
Non Nobis Solum