Author Topic: Tell me your story  (Read 2429 times)

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Tell me your story
« on: February 14, 2016, 01:52:22 PM »
Im getting to the point where im starting to make acceptable gear and nail down designs for things i want to continue making
But the sheer amount of options available make my head spin.....should i sell on etsy ebay market shop??
Should i advertise on facebook, youtube, forums, word of mouth
Id love to hear your stories..........how did you get started, how did you decide what to sell and who did you sell it you? How did you make it work and what is successful?
If you have the time id love to hear your stories??

mogensbeck

• View Profile
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Tell me your story
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 03:49:11 PM »
Starting to make gear when I was in the danish infantry. Mostly because I could not buy the gear/pouch ect that I needed to get the job done. So I started to learn how to sew, year was around 2005ish.

Mostly did things for people in the coy/regiment and people from a danish military forum.

Around 3 years ago the hobby became a company, but still in the spare time from the normal job, now Airforce.

Mostly been doing custom work in the past, but are trying to move to more standard products to sell. Customwork takes aprox 5times longer time to do, then a standard product. Custom work is fun but it is just to time consuming.

We do all our marketing on Facebook mostly because 73% of the Danish population uses Facebook, so you go where the people are. Thinking to add Instragram but not so popular yet.

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 05:04:04 PM »
I've always been a forum guy, so I got most of my customers via different forums simply by posting stuff there. If the rules allow for it, you could have your FB link in your signature and you'll probably get a lot of traffic from that if you are an active and contributing member of said forum.

Facebook would be my go-to platform to attract people and interact with them. A simple site to sell stuff would be my primary point of sale if you have the volume.

SunriseTacticalGear

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Sunrise Tactical Gear
  • Liked: 117
  • Likes Given: 78
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:47:30 PM »
Yes, with a sewing machine and material you can build anything, to narrow things down I suggest starting with the shooting discipline that you are familiar with and work on gear that you see is missing or in need of an over haul. I too enjoy building custom gear, but as was mentioned, there isn't a lot of money in it as compared to the time you will invest, or I haven't yet found the customer that wasn't worried about the price. I would say that my production type work, (runs of 10 or more) is how I pay the bills, and buy new sewing machines. For that reason I only take on custom work that interests me and is not currently or readily available.
I see Facebook as a portfolio to show off my work to potential customers and my Godaddy website (although very old school) as a channel for customers to purchase my gear, for less than $400.00 a year, it has been an outstanding investment.
Forums are the best place to show your work, in a short period of time the Buzz will get started about you and the work will follow.
Scott
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 11:01:02 PM by SunriseTacticalGear »

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 01:41:41 PM »
Thanks guys thats all very interesting .........i think just a website and the facebook route in the future :)
I hate the idea of custom work but that does seem to be what everyone is interested in initially. I like to do custom work for myself!!!

WBTactical

• View Profile
    • Wild Bill Tactical
  • Liked: 33
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 07:19:24 AM »
Custom work is not for the faint of heart. When I first started I advertised myself as a custom work oriented even though the sheer technicality prevents me from taking on like 90% of the inquires that people send me, plus most of the inquires I got are pretty much "Can you replicate this or that for less then what the original company charged because I'm too damn cheap". I focus more time into R&D to come up with my own flag ship products (Chestrig with clip-on capability, etc) and I never look back.

As far as what kind of product you should make, that really depends on you. I come from a airsoft background so naturally the things I made specifically function in an airsoft environment.

As for web presences, you can't really go wrong with Facebook, Instagram and forum. majority of the people have access to social media these days and there's tons of apps that can help you reaching out to people.

gemeo

• View Profile
    • tactical twin
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 06:59:53 AM »
My story is very simple grandmother a mother are seamstresses and the love of my live is a seamstress and love for the gear, just sum everything together. Bumm!!!