Author Topic: Modular Belt System (Prototype)  (Read 4917 times)

BEA-RD

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Modular Belt System (Prototype)
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2017, 05:12:56 PM »
Beard, I get the issue that your are solving. Totally makes sense now. Having a separate "line" to hang the sub-load allows more flexibility. Wouldn't even need to be webbing necessarily, so long as it's strong and it's not tacked too tightly.

big ol'e BOOOOM! Yes sir!, I promise you wont turn back and the end users will appreciate & love it.

Exactly, you could prob get away with just about anything. Or, you could do as I and just use 2" 17337 with tac's no more then 3" apart (found this to be the max distance to keep it from extremely bowing with heavy subloads, man, some guys like to put the damn kitchen sink on their leg. you may want to close that 3" distance to around 2.75-.50" if you use a cordura or laminate for the SL strap ).

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 266
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Alright, the next one I build I'll look at adding the sub-load slots and a dedicated line. On that not, what do you guys think is the optimal width and location for sub-load slots?

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2017, 02:43:23 PM »
To not use a sub load is the optimal solution :P

The reason I made my beltsleeves with the ~1/4 front of each panel as single columns was so that you could place stuff on your belt if you like kydex stuff or have holsters to be mounted to the belt in a more accurate way than if it was 2 column sections. I do think the same should apply to sub-loads, but I realize that it's tricker- but again I think a lot of modern drop leg panels have 1-1.5" hardware while older stuff might be 2-3".

Also, instead of binding your panel(s), why not fold it into itself if the belt itself is an inside/out/reversed construction? Especially the top which doesn't need a slot of sub-loads.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2017, 04:14:44 PM »
Essal, not sure I follow your comment on the binding. Do you mean sew the panels into the top seam? Kinda like the original? If that's what you mean, I don't like how it pulls downward on the seam.

I like the idea of singles, maybe all the way along. More accurate kit placement is a good idea.

Regardless, I want all the panels to be linked for strength, and so I can offer the subload access. On a personal note, I HATE sub-loads but lots of people ask for them though, so it's worth considering.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
Here's a prototype done in MultiCam. It's a little rough, but you get the idea. Ignore the Coyote binding tape. I just don't have MultiCam tape on hand. Beard, I tried a rounded front, and it just looked horrible. This one has some test sub-load slots built in.

WPJ

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 106
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2017, 06:15:42 PM »
Any thought of loops or drying on the top for suspenders?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2017, 07:06:37 PM »
WPJ, the final design might have multiple slots top and bottom, so the user adding suspenders would be real easy. The MultiCam one pictured has a top slot.

BEA-RD

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2017, 07:26:06 PM »
Beautiful.

Makes me want to put a belt together right this second.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2017, 01:57:42 PM »
Latest update: Slightly shorter OAL, deleated the vertical webbing at the ends. Matched the binding tape. Increased the sub-load slot width for better holster compatibility. Reduced the hidden inside Velcro hook to 1", so it's stitching is hidden under the back strip.

If sub/suspended slots are gonna happen at the 6 O'Clock position, we'd need a clamp set for horizontal tacks. I'd really love to eleiminate the binding tape, any ideas?