Author Topic: Trademark  (Read 1362 times)

1811tactical

• 1811 TACTICAL®
  • www.facebook.com/1811Tactical
    • View Profile
    • 1811 Tactical
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 26
Trademark
« on: November 28, 2014, 12:35:47 PM »
Hey everyone!

Just a quick note about trademarks.  I would recommend using “tm” after your company/business name just to let others know you are claiming the rights to it.  You do not have to necessarily file a trademark application with the USPTO, it just puts it out there “it’s mine.”  I am in the middle of a trademark fight with a guy who is trying to STEAL my name (even after he tried to buy it from me?)!  I started “1811 Tactical” in 2012 and never thought this would happen?  PM me if you want the details.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 02:43:25 PM by 1811tactical »
1811 TACTICAL®
www.facebook.com/1811Tactical
#1811tactical

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 74
  • Likes Given: 38
Re: Trademark
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 02:11:43 PM »
Related reading-  http://www.uspto.gov/faq/trademarks.jsp#_Toc275426682

From uspto.gov-

If you claim rights to use a mark, you may use the "TM" (trademark) or "SM" (service mark) designation to alert the public to your claim of a “common-law” mark.  No registration is necessary to use a "TM" or "SM" symbol and you may continue to use these symbols even if the USPTO refuses to register your mark.  Those symbols put people on notice that you claim rights in the mark, although common law doesn't give you all the rights and benefits of federal registration.

You may only use the federal registration symbol "®" after the USPTO actually registers a mark, not while an application is pending.  And it may only be used on or in connection with the goods/services listed in the federal trademark registration and while the registration is still alive (you may not continue to use it if you don’t maintain the registration or it expires).  Although there are no specific requirements on where the symbol should be placed relative to the mark, most businesses use the symbol in the upper right corner of the mark.  Note: Because several foreign countries use “®” to indicate that a mark is registered in that country, use of the symbol by the holder of a foreign registration may be proper.

Hey everyone!

Just a quick note about trademarks.  I would recommend using “tm” after your company/business name just to let others know you are claiming the rights to it.  You do not have to necessarily file a trademark application with the USPTO, it just puts it out there “it’s mine.”  I am in the middle of a trademark fight with a guy who is trying to STEAL my name (even after he tried to but it from me?)!  I started “1811 Tactical” in 2012 and never thought this would happen?  PM me if you want the details.

ocmike

• View Profile
    • OC Tactical
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Trademark
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 12:28:26 PM »
This is old, but I just want to add to what 1811 said.  If you plan on turning this into a business spend the money and Trademark your name.  Just go get a Trademark Attorney and do it right instead of trying to save a buck and go the legal zoom route also.  Don't let someone else capitalize off your hard work.  I'm not going to get into details at the moment, but I had to contact my Trademark Attorney recently because another company crossed that line.  Do yourself a favor and spend the money to protect your name to avoid a future headache.