Author Topic: multi purpose utility pouch  (Read 1813 times)

sklurk

• noob with a sewing machine
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
multi purpose utility pouch
« on: February 13, 2016, 09:32:51 PM »
I had need of a battle belt utility pouch that could double as a mag pouch in a pinch. Nothing on the market tickled my fancy so I decided to make one:

This is my first intricately designed and complex assembly item I've attempted. Lots of stuff was learned... lol. This was also the first zipper I've set that's hidden with a lip. I decided to use tex40 thread for this in hopes it would be a bit easier to work with along with a smaller needle. I didn't have any issues at all with the needle this time,though the tensioner on my bobbin case loosened up over the course of the project making for a bunch of swearing and birdsnesting underneath until I checked the tension.

I could have planned a bit better, but as a first attempt at something that took a fair number of parts and measuring, I think it's not too bad. Some technical issues with my machine as mentioned with the thread tension issue and again thickness of the overall material after assembly, some spots were tricky to get under the machine foot and some messy seams resulted from the dogs not being able to pull everything through evenly. I couldn't use my walking foot attachment either because that takes some foot clearance away.

After completing it, if I were to do it again I'd design some sort of shock cord wrap or some other way to get the front box flap to stay down when I have the flap inserted. Some more thinking will be needed and I may eventually try it again. Hopefully it won't take me a whole day next time.  :o

Couldn't find any malice clips in my parts bucket so I put in the bladetek clips to test it... tight fit... should've measured the molle spacing a bit better on the back panel before I committed. lol. Not about to quit my day job.
I make stuff, badly.

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: multi purpose utility pouch
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 06:40:03 AM »
I really like this. Very innovative. This concept makes me think of Crye Precision's 'Smart Pouch Suite' where they made a bunch of pouches specifically to hold multiple different types of items. The first picture was very misleading as to how the pouch would accommodate magazines, but the following pictures revealed the twist. It sounds like you have some machine limitations, but I really think you should make another one. This pouch definitely has some rough edges, but I would call it V1 or a prototype.

For your PALS grid on the next pouch, use two rows of webbing at the top, skip where a 3rd piece of webbing would go, then add two more pieces of weeping at the bottom. That will allow you to attach to 3 rows of webbing instead of 2; otherwise I would use the blade tech clips to secure this pouch for maximum security.

1811tactical

• 1811 TACTICAL®
  • www.facebook.com/1811Tactical
    • View Profile
    • 1811 Tactical
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 26
Re: multi purpose utility pouch
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 05:59:49 AM »
Great design!

1811 Tactical
@1811tactical