Author Topic: Patrolling Rig (Split Front)  (Read 15209 times)

SR Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Patrol Rig (Split Front)
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2015, 10:32:10 AM »
Looks really good! How do you fold the corners and keep them in place? I use a spray adhesive and that's just plain shit. Your corners look way better than mine...

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 272
  • Likes Given: 269
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2015, 10:48:35 AM »
The panels are sewn inside out. The key to crisp corners is making sure you trim the material inside before you flip right side out. Our proprietary padded core helps keep the panel shape as well.

SR Tactical

• View Profile
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2015, 12:03:50 AM »
How close to the seam do you trim? I should try that later today.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
Re: Patrolling Rig (Split Front)
« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2015, 09:18:47 AM »
You don't need to spend time measuring for the panels, just glue your foam down and then sew around it. The foam acts as a guide and ensures you will have a good fit. With 1/8" foam, I leave about 1/8" gap between the foam and the stitch line and about 1/2" (or slightly more on the bottom) of excess material inside. All the corners are clipped so they turn out nicely. If you leave gaps for the buckle points to be inserted it goes much smoother than trying to hold the strap in the right position while sewing everything together. The major added benefit for glueing the foam to the Cordura is that you can quickly and easily flip the whole thing right side out and have all of your excess material on the correct side.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2015, 09:21:12 AM »
From the blog: http://www.geardynamics.ca/blog/2015/9/25/patrolling-rig-v2-prototype

We're working on some changes to the Patrolling Rig. These are in the test phase and if the feedback is positive, we'll implement the changes to the product line.

The main panels of the rig feature our new proprietary reinforced construction, which drastically improves the load carriage over using Cordura alone, with no real gain in thickness or weight. This makes our rig one of the thinest and strongest padded rigs on the market. The waist strap has been relocated to the bottom third of the panel, so it rides below the rear plate, even if the rig is worn high on the body. It also makes the strap a little easier to access while wearing the rig.

The Harness is a hybrid between our current design and one of our previous prototypes. The front straps are sewn through all the way to the rear for strength and the rear adjustment straps are attached using mil-spec paracord loops for better articulation. The back pad and shoulder pads are slightly wider, to better distribute heavy loads. There is no drag strap or PALS webbing on the back, but these will likely be an option when ordering.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 11:00:12 AM by Gear Dynamics »

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2015, 10:51:43 AM »
Just as a tip since I assume that you are a registered Canadian company: Claims like this can bite you in the ass big time.
This makes our rigs the thinest and strongest padded rigs on the market.
Prove it. If you can't, the claim is basically worthless and might be subject to a lot of work if someone should decide to dispute your claim to Canada's Competition Bureau...

I'd just rewrite the text.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2015, 11:04:52 AM »
I suppose that's a valid point, although the time, effort and money it would cost to enforce legal action would be more than most are willing to go through.

I've edited it to allow some room.

Jorvik

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2015, 01:12:47 PM »
Or use weasel-words... "The most innovative"... "The most dynamic"... "The most ergonomic"

Phrases that don't mean anything empirical or testable, but make a similar point.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2016, 05:20:11 PM »
Here's the latest Patrolling Rig V2. The harness profile and angles have changed. I've found that an angle of 600mils between the shoulder straps and 1600mils between the back straps gave the best fit, with and without armour, worn high and low. The back panel has been reduced to 8.5" tall by 8" wide. The PALS channels on the back are a little wider than 1.5" and I've included a shot of an optional drag strap.

Fouinard

• Forum creeper
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2016, 04:12:59 AM »
I really like your attention to details! hiding the webbing ends under the fabric is a great idea!

Bootcat

• View Profile
    • Tiger Tailor
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 27
« Reply #40 on: January 20, 2016, 07:17:05 AM »
This design is getting cleaner and cleaner.

If I may offer a few ideas:
- you don't need a GTLL buckle on the waist strap, a rectangular loop is thinner and does the job. The triglide takes care of the sliding well enough;
- the 1,5" webbing seems useless to me when sewn all the way up on the harness front straps . You could end it under the fabric (like on the back of the harness), the space could be used for PALS webbing for example.

Out of curiosity, what camera settings do you use in these shots (aperture, ISO, time)?

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2016, 12:16:33 PM »
Fouinard, thanks! Glad you like it.

Bootcat, the GTLL-150 works well for tightening and loosening the rig on the fly. I know the front is adjustable, but I prefer using the rear strap. My method is to reach behind and cinch the strap tighter or looser, and to keep the front tight together. As for eliminating the 1.5" web on the shoulder straps, I like your idea. Having it run all the way up is a hold over from the straps running all the way to the rear. I'm going to look into this! Thanks!

About the camera settings, I have no idea. I just grab the camera, point it and push the button. I use a large piece of laminate for the white background and Photoshop to adjust the brightness/make the backgrounds pure white. All pics use natural light, which I find is the best. One day I might have the space and resorces to build a big light box, but until then, this seems to work.

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2016, 05:28:01 PM »
I modified my personal rig and removed the 1.5" webbing running up the shoulder straps. Added some 1" PALS webbing. I think I like the look of this better than having all that 1.5" webbing, especially on the Cadpat TW, where more of the pattern can show through...If only I have matching 5038! What do you guys think? Any additions? There is still a seam at the top of the shoulder which is necessary to conserve material, but could be useful. I don't want anything bothersome up there, but if anyone has any ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

bravodelta

• View Profile
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2016, 03:06:32 PM »
Looks good dude.

I like the way you do a layered design on the straps...how had was it to bind the inside curve...I have never had any luck with those

die_dunkelheit

• View Profile
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2016, 03:22:22 PM »
When I do inside curves I just pull it straight and bind,. Then later when doing the second stitch I let it lay flat and sew around the curve, the result is less puckering if any but a nicely bound inside curve.