Author Topic: EDC pouch/micro wallet  (Read 3050 times)

rouge

• View Profile
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
EDC pouch/micro wallet
« on: April 21, 2016, 01:37:14 PM »
Started designing this, i make an awfull lot of these for myself and loved ones, its a good way to use scraps of fabric and webbing i have left over.
I used to make a 2 inch longer velcro version, but i wanted them to last longer, and velcro while being wonderfull limits the life of every item its placed on in my opinion.

So i was looking at tradtional pouches like leather etc and came up with this.....its simple as anything and really does provide decent rentention while keeping a traditional look

However its made of 1000d and at its thickest point the pouch is 8 layers of cordura and 2 of webbing, thats 10 layers of fabric total in a tiny pouch. You can really hear the machine pounding the fabric as they go......im worried about the wear and tear on my machine.........though is sure my machine (seiko lsw-8bl ) can handle this
Im going to try making them in 500d and see how that works out

Anyways its a pouch that holds small items and keeps them separate or on hand, it could be a micro wallet and edc pouch a key silencer or goodness knows what
Adding belt loops is no problem and i could add a little pocket on the back for more storage

The appeal to me is that they are easy to make and are composed primarily of 3 components .......thread fabric and 1 inch webbing......i can whip them up easily in large numbers and always have the volume fabric handy to create them
Im wanting to make a small profit doing what i love which is making gear......i have all sorts of plans for bags and belts and what not, but thats a way of and this could be a good start?

Im aware the stitching and overall production quality needs a little work but i can keep working at that.

What do you guys think of them??

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 265
Re: EDC pouch/micro wallet
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:57 PM »
I do like the outside the box thinking for the flap retention, but for a small inexpensive item like that, Velcro is the better option. I think the Velcro will last long enough for the expected life span of a pouch like that. You could also look at trying magnets? I saw an admin pouch that used them and it was pretty cool. My main concern is that the flap will creep open and let small items fall out.

rouge

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 02:16:33 PM »
Thanks for the reply, i see your point about the velcro.........it would be much simpler and your right a lot cheaper for the expected lifespan of the pouch.
The retention is suprisingly better than you would think, it depends, i put a small heavy item in it like a knife and if you shake it enough it will fly out, small items like bank cards and money will be fine.....coins would be a problem i think.
The thicker the pouch gets the better, if i fill it to the point its about an inch thicker then no amount of shaking seems to open the flap at all

Ill have to make a few in Velcro and see how i like them.

(i got loads of 1000d oman print dpm on the cheap......it was a great opportunity for getting a load of fabric that i could just experiment with.........but i am so sick of looking at it.........:(   )
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 02:18:56 PM by rouge »

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 02:43:03 PM »
Don't put magnets in a wallet.... Unless you want to piss off everyone whos card you de-magnetized.

I kinda like the very simple closure, but then again I don't carry a wallet so I can't speak about the security.

In terms of layers, you could do it out of a single layer, it doesn't have to be double layered all over.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 02:53:46 PM »
Test Material: 100% Nylon Touch Fastener 
Testing Mode  Testing Standard  Grade
Color Fastness to Washing  AATCC-61-1980-II A 3.5 
Color Fastness to Crocking  AATCC-TEST METHOD 8-1980  3.5 
Strength Test
Strength / Wheel Cycle Peel Strength
Lengthwise (g/cm)

Shear Strength Lengthwise (g/cm)
                         peel strength
Original                       250       850 
1000 Times                 215       740 
3000 Times                 182       688 
5000 Times                 165       637 
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

TwoWayTrauma

• Chuck - Maker
    • View Profile
    • Two Way Trauma
  • Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 76
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 02:59:51 PM »
Sorry for the previous post, I posted it too soon.  I understand lab tests don't always reflect the results of real world applications, but for what it is worth, here is a summary of the testing for mil spec Velcro (Mil-Spec AA55126A ).

In summary, the Velcro retains 66% of it's peel strength and 74.9% of it's shear strength after 5000 openings and closings.  Depending on your application, this may or may not be acceptable.  5000 cycles would be opening and closing your wallet 13-14 times a day, every day for a year.

If you do use Velcro, I would recommend placing the loop on the flap, as that will wear out first.  It's easier to replace the Velcro on the flap than on the body.

Heat Resistance:  Melting point: Hook 230°C ,Loop 180C Maintains normal bonding performance during 1000 hours at the temperature of 93°C to 56.7°C.
Cold Resistance:  Still works when temperature is -20°C, and the lower the temperature is, the larger the strength becomes, but with a decrease in durability.
Water Resistance:  Retains 50% of closure strength in water and recovers 100% of strength after drying.
Chemicals Resistance  Alkali: Within 50% of Alkaline Soda. Within 28% of Ammonia.
Acid: Within 2.5% of Hydrochloric Acid,15% of Sulphuric Acid, and 3.5% of Nitric Acid.
Color Fastness
Testing Mode  Testing Standard  Grade
Color Fastness to Washing  AATCC-61-1980-II A 3.5 
Color Fastness to Crocking  AATCC-TEST METHOD 8-1980  3.5 
Strength Test
Strength / Wheel Cycle Peel Strength
Lengthwise (g/cm)

Shear Strength Lengthwise (g/cm)
                           peel   shear
Original                 250  850 
1000 Times           215  740 
3000 Times           182  688 
5000 Times            165  637 

Chuck
Two Way Trauma: Providing equipment for those trained in the judicious application and relief of trauma.

www.TwoWayTrauma.com
www.facebook.com/twowaytrauma
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChS-9_c8LCydZlDMYVWLxWA

rouge

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 03:40:25 PM »
Oh wow thanks ....those results really sell it to me ! I think ill keep those saved somewhere
I confess the velcro i have brought is not mil-spec and mostly attained through ebay....

Where do you find that sort of information?
Essal.......the double layering is completely un-necessary a single layer of 1000d ia strong enougth but i hate the finished result!! It looks half assed thin and ugly.

Interesting insight about the magnet though.....i would never  have considered that
Cheers guys im learning a lot here :)

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 269
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 10:14:59 PM »
Essal, good thinking on the magnet with the card stripes. I don't know what I was thinking. I withdraw my magnet recommendation! It was a terrible suggestion.

Post some pics when you make some Velcro ones.

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2016, 12:05:26 AM »
With adding one detail pouch can hold items more securely - the entrance that will bend (kink) over, the same structure as smocks' pockets (can't find example with images search).

rouge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2016, 06:18:09 AM »
Havent had a chance to post in a while still havent sewn any more of these
But this is my problem with velcro
This is a maxpedition wallet.....while still in amazing condition its kind of unusable now as the velcro slips the stitching a little more each time ......perhaps this is a poor design in fairness!!!

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 48
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2016, 11:31:49 AM »
Perhaps it's just sub par loop, which wouldn't be a surprise...
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

GoBliNuke

• View Profile
    • Ironbound Concepts
  • Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2016, 11:17:53 AM »
With adding one detail pouch can hold items more securely - the entrance that will bend (kink) over, the same structure as smocks' pockets (can't find example with images search).

Sorry for delay, I meant this double flap pocket closure: