Author Topic: Mesh, what do I have here?  (Read 1604 times)

esstac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Mesh, what do I have here?
« on: May 10, 2016, 02:21:59 PM »
So bought this Mesh(OD) about 10 years ago, at the time I think it was something gene from HSGI used. 

So what is it and where do I source it is the question of the day?  Or something very similar,  Preferably Coyote(brown) Black and possibly OD

The Coyote mesh in the pictures is sourced from PK supply, and I forget what it is called.  It is soft and flexible and shrinks like mad when sewn, causing ripples due to the shrinkage.  While it is a great Mesh and probably a more usable mesh the item I am using it for it is lacking.

The OD mesh is what I am after.  It is STIFF, takes a stitch/binding and shrugs it off with no shrinkage.  This is not a do all, soft, conforming mesh like the above, did I mention its stiff?  This is a great backer mesh, and what I want to use it for.

Thanks for looking, and +87interwebs if you can help  8)

essal

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Nora Tactical
  • Liked: 93
  • Likes Given: 49
Re: Mesh, what do I have here?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 04:41:50 PM »
Looks like normal nylon mil-spec mesh to me. Mil-C-8061.
Nora Tactical
Product Technician - Norrøna

Gear Dynamics

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Gear Dynamics
  • Liked: 270
  • Likes Given: 267
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 06:31:09 PM »
Looks like milspec mesh to me too, but I know that all the milspec mesh I have here shrinks and stretches. It's very challenging to bind and get clean results. I've always been on the lookout for a mesh that sews like 1000D Cordura.

esstac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 11:58:55 PM »
This stuff sews like cordura.  Lays flat and does not fold/ruffle up on its own.

I think the CB mesh is similar if not the Mil-C-8061.  Going to order a few yards of it in a different color to see.

cdhtac

• View Profile
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2016, 02:34:47 AM »
I use mil-c-8061 that i have bought from rockywoods, and i have no problem binding/sewing it, provided that the sewing direction is correct; it's more or less a 2-way stretch

gearmaker.org

• gearmaker.org
  • Administrator
  • gearmaker.org
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 83
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 08:43:18 PM »
So bought this Mesh(OD) about 10 years ago, at the time I think it was something gene from HSGI used. 

So what is it and where do I source it is the question of the day?  Or something very similar,  Preferably Coyote(brown) Black and possibly OD

The Coyote mesh in the pictures is sourced from PK supply, and I forget what it is called.  It is soft and flexible and shrinks like mad when sewn, causing ripples due to the shrinkage.  While it is a great Mesh and probably a more usable mesh the item I am using it for it is lacking.

The OD mesh is what I am after.  It is STIFF, takes a stitch/binding and shrugs it off with no shrinkage.  This is not a do all, soft, conforming mesh like the above, did I mention its stiff?  This is a great backer mesh, and what I want to use it for.

Thanks for looking, and +87interwebs if you can help  8)

Please post an intro at your earliest opportunity :)

http://gearmaker.org/index.php?board=2.0

sklurk

• noob with a sewing machine
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2016, 12:21:10 PM »
I have a couple yards of Mil-spec Heavyweight Mesh Fabric MIL-C-8061 from rockywoods it looks very similar to that if not exactly the same. it's stuffed away in a box somewhere but I'll take a look at it when I get home.
I make stuff, badly.