Author Topic: Source for small amount of coated/non-slip webbing?  (Read 2321 times)

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Source for small amount of coated/non-slip webbing?
« on: June 15, 2016, 12:43:47 PM »
Hey,
First post here on the forum. Been browsing for a while but finally signed up. So.. I am looking for black polyester(preferably) or nylon webbing with a non-slip coating on one side. I've been asked to design a couple of small bags that are meant to be attached to roll bars on an friends custom jeep-motorhome hybrid thingy.  I need to attach some bags to the metal bars but having a non-slip fabric on the backside of the bag isn't enough. The bags are strapped to those bars with webbing and I think if I had webbing with coating as well it would be enough to stop the bags from spinning and moving. However I haven't been able to find any except some polypropylene coated stuff on alibaba. That's not going to happen so I figured I'd ask here if anybody knows of a source?

Polyurethane, silicone or something else doesn't really matters, but it needs to be fairly durable and not to thick so the webbing can still be used in buckles. Same with the "pattern", full covered or partial covered shouldn't matter.

I'm looking for around 10 meters, preferable 20 mm (3/4 inch) or 25mm(1 inch)wide and i'd prefer an European source since I'm based in Sweden but I regularly buy fabric and webbing from the states so I'm open to everything.

Globe

• View Profile
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 10
Re: Source for small amount of coated/non-slip webbing?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 06:40:50 AM »
I'm having a hard time imaging how these bags are going to be attached to the vehicle.

I wonder if modifying your design would prove to be more practical rather than using a specialty material. (I also do not know about the material sourcing in Europe). Maybe consider using more webbing attachment points that utilize a camming action to grab the roll bars tighter.

Maybe you can find some inspiration in this example of grab handles designed to be attached to roll bars:
http://www.allthingsjeep.com/ultimate-grab-handle-all-jeep-roll-bars-black---pair-55-10.html

I feel like we could be more helpful if we saw a couple of pictures of the vehicle and the location of the bag attachment points. Until then, I hope this helps.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2016, 02:08:54 PM »
Could something like this be integrated to immobilize the pouch on the tube?

http://www.ratchetingbuckles.com/type/1-00-buckles-straps/

edvin

• View Profile
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 07:17:16 AM »
The inital idea for the bags came from another product I've designed and selling, a smaller bag for bikepacking.

It's meant to be mounted on the downtube on mountainbikes to hold spares, first-aid kits or other things you want easily accessible. That bags works really well with only the non-slip fabric on the back of the bag. A local guy saw these and wondered if I could make a couple of larger ones for him. The down tube bag is only about 1 liter big, he wants them around 5 liters and capable of holding much more weight. His idea is to have some spares and first-aid stuff in them so when he needs it, he won't have to dig through or lift out all the other stuff from the back of his car. I've made two prototypes(sorry, no pictures, their in his car right now), but they spin too much so I need to anchor them down better. My thinking is if I could have a non slip-coating on the webbing going around the roll bars they should be much more secure.

I found webbing like this but only avaialble in bulk:

TPU or PVC coated webbing.

That would probably be too thick and stiff to work in the buckles. There's also elastic with a thinner coating on only one side.

Polyester or nylon webbing with a similar coating would probably be perfect for my needs and that's what I'm trying to source.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 11:13:57 AM by edvin »

Misadventure Gear

• View Profile
    • Misadventure Gear
  • Liked: 19
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 03:10:39 PM »
I don't know about sourcing coated webbing..... But you could try DIYing some yourself.  Mix 100% silicone caulk and odor-less mineral spirits in a glass jar. I'd start with a ratio of 3:1 and then mix them together, adding mineral spirits until it's the consistency of runny snot. Paint it on the webbing using a foam brush.  I use this mix to seam seal silnylon tarps and tents, and will paint stripes on the tent floor to reduce sliding. Depending on how much weight you're trying to secure, it may help to hold things in place.

WhiskeyTwoFour

• PMs off- forumATwtfidea.com
    • View Profile
  • Liked: 295
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 10:54:13 AM »
What about this?  It's 1.5" wide.  Similar to the non slip straps on drop rigs.  It's very non-slippy.

Migo

• View Profile
    • Downrange.de
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2016, 10:13:54 PM »
In Germany I would take this:
Webbing rubber coated (didn't know the correct translation, sorry)
www.baender24.de/1m-gummiertes-pp-gurtband-/-gurtband-gummiert-20mm-breit-schwarz

or this one:
Silicone coated rubber strap (often used for strapless evening dresses, underwear):
http://www.extremtextil.de/catalog/Elastisches-Antirutschband-m-Silikonauflage-20mm::1293.html